The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 04:44 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default parrot fish and puffer fish

i really want to catch parrot fish and puffer fish on the fly and i am wondering if anyone has experience doing this. I have found some big specimen of both.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:13 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: parrot fish and puffer fish

I have no idea how you'd catch either of them. I did catch a blowfish once as a kid fishing with bait (probably cut mullet). But they quickly puff up and just float around on the top. Not much fun to catch.

I have ocassionally caught cow fish (AKA box fish, trunk fish) and for something that makes a VW Bug look aerodynamic, a big one of those suckers is unbelievable. Their tails are so tiny you'd never of guessed it. They will actually take you into your backing. They will readily take any small bonefish fly and are all over the place, though the real big ones are more scarce of course.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:17 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
i really want to catch parrot fish and puffer fish on the fly and i am wondering if anyone has experience doing this. I have found some big specimen of both.
Puffers will chase and strike readily but due to mouth construction/teeth, etc they are hard to hook. Parrots are another matter as they eat coral and make sand???
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-10-2012, 10:05 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Cut the "fly" off a Sabiki rig (that little gold hook with the Mylar wings ) and splice the leader on to your fly leader . I've caught spiny puffers, Atlantic puffers, porkfish, mangrove snappers(grays) pinfish , Porgys and yellowtail snappers this way . When I'm in Islamorada beginning this Sunday I'll try it on the big Partots hanging by the dock. I'm sure it will work on them as well. I will let you know . Also I'll tell you how your sea trout spot worked out.
Try the Sabiki "Fly" it's great on all wrasses and bottom feeders in your area.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

By the way those Parrotfish have a nasty set of front teeth. Caught one in Key
West reminded me of a tautog with bionic canines!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-10-2012, 10:38 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

What did you catch that Parrot with? I've spent hundreds of hours with them underwater and always wondered if they'd eat anything other than nipping off coral or scraping algea from coral??? We used to shoot one now and then as they do make one of the best Sashimi, or Shushi dishes you can imagine.

By the way, those Sabiki rig shrimp make one of the best bluegill flies there is in some places.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Those Sabiki rig flys do catch a bunch of different fish and I'll bet they are good for gills. The Parrotfish I mentioned was a big slob that I caught on a party boat out of Key West on a chunk of squid. But using the Sabiki fly I did have two big Parrots at the dock chase it right to the surface . Problem was the little Porkfish and Sargent Majors would take the fly before the Parrots could latch on.
And I had Dantes Restaurant at the dock cook up that Parrot from the boat . Fantastic meal!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser