The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 02:50 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rod for Louisiana Redfish

Although not LA, I have fished the Texas coast a ton. I chose a 7wt because for the flies I was casting, that was all I needed, plus it made casting all day long a bit easier on the old arm. Most people I knew fished with 8wts and were able to handle the wind a bit better than I could but I was able to load up my rod better on the shorter cast.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:42 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I kept the Spoon fly that Capt. Blaine had given me, so I put it on my digital ballance (in my classroom). It massed at 3.95 grams....which converts (though not directly) to .137 ounces, which is a bit more than 1/8 ounce.

So my bad! I over estimated the weight of the spoon flies we were casting. They are tied on 1/0 stainless hooks, have wire weed guards, and he wraps in some lead before adding the Mylar and epoxy. They were absolute gang-busters in blue/gold and red/gold. The man definitely knows his stuff.

I settled on a rod, which I talked about on the rod thread...an 8wt Orvis Helios 9.5 tip flex. I have a 7 weight BVK as a back-up. For the huge poppers we use, I have a 10 weight BVK....a bit too much, but its lighter than most 8 wt rods, and the 10wt line really carries the poppers well. I've been practicing a lot on a local pond, and in the neighbors yard (away from my two Labs). I am absolutely loving the Helios.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:14 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

You are going to enjoy the Helios as it has more lifting power than the BVK.. The Bvk's are a joy to cast just try not to lift the fish or they will break easily.
Please post lots of pics from your trip.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:17 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i disagree. I have a BVK and i fight a 5 foot alligator a couple days ago and the rod has a very beefy backbone.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

MRFZX, Now treat yourself to some lines that will enhance in-close loading. My wife likes the SA Mastery Textured Magnum on her BVK#8. It is an 8.5 weight line with a forward weight bias...BVK Likes that. The tip-fex Helios to me feels more mid-flex (& the mid- more full-flex) and should be a fine rod for reds. I have not tried this combo but a RIO Redfish might be cool...has anyone cast this line on Helios? This same line might be good on the BVK too.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:01 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I don't care much for the Rio Redfish taper, I would rather use their Outbound Short than their Redfish taper...

My favorite Redfish taper is the new Orvis one or the Scientific Anglers version...
Old 05-03-2012, 10:47 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
MRFZX, Now treat yourself to some lines that will enhance in-close loading. My wife likes the SA Mastery Textured Magnum on her BVK#8. It is an 8.5 weight line with a forward weight bias...BVK Likes that. The tip-fex Helios to me feels more mid-flex (& the mid- more full-flex) and should be a fine rod for reds. I have not tried this combo but a RIO Redfish might be cool...has anyone cast this line on Helios? This same line might be good on the BVK too.
For both the BVK and the Helios, I have been trying several different lines. On the Helios, I have settled on the Orvis Redfish Taper, it loads really well.

I am not a fan of the textured lines. They cast great, but especially with the Sharkskin, with a strong fish that you need to "hand" some line until you can get it on the reel, its like holding onto a band-saw blade (ok...that's an exageration)....but it will cut you without a glove. Stripping the textured lines all day REQUIRES a stripping guard on your finger too, unless you have stone-mason hands. Plus the sound it makes through the guides sets my teeth on edge......but it does cast like a rocket.....

On the BVK, the Rio Outbound Tropical Short was awesome, and the Redfish taper cast well too. I am taking 2 extra spools for each rod, one loaded with a floater, one with an intermediate sink, and one with a fast sink....although I doubt I'll need the fast sinker. The only reason I am taking it is that we may end up on the Gulf itself (we're only a few miles from the true coast), and be dropping some flies in deeper water....with some current.

June 10 is coming fast....and I can hardly stand the wait!

By the way....I loaded my 6wt Axiom with 7 weight SA Textured Magnum Taper Warm Water....just for S and G. That imbedded Kevlar really makes that rod a catapult. I think it makes the Sage TCX seem slow. Too bad its a war club of a rod (read heavy here).

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post
You are going to enjoy the Helios as it has more lifting power than the BVK.. The Bvk's are a joy to cast just try not to lift the fish or they will break easily.
Please post lots of pics from your trip.
You bet I will. A previous guide, who will go nameless, learned the hardway what your saying. He asked to try my rod....no problem. It was an older fast action Silver label Orvis 8wt. He hooked and brought in a nice redfish of maybe 8 pounds, then he tries to swing it into the boat as if he was using a stout casting rod......I do love that Orvis warranty.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:34 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The textured lines are far more finger friendly than Sharkskin. I used the SA Mast. Tex. Saltwater bonefishing on my #8 NRX, did not get cut and did not use finger guards. It does still make that hissing sound though. Have a great trip; we all look forward to your report.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:28 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Rod for Louisiana Redfish

I would agree that the textured line would pose a risk of burning your finger. It happend to my friend last weekend while he was stripping. Seems a large bull just yanked on his fly burning his finger with plain vanilla fly line. I brought my 6 and 8 wt with me for reds 17-30+" long. I brought the 8 for windy days which is all we had but nothing more than say 20 knots. For calm days I would have been tempted to use my 6. FWIW, you won't be casting very far though you may be tempted when the action is slow to cover more water. Most of the reds we all caught were within 40 yards. It's nice to reach out but unless it's gusting, you won't have to. Pick a line that you can chuck out quickly without having too many false casts. Sometimes you'll have a quick roll and 1 cast. Good luck and I hope you do well. We ate one of the reds I caught last night and it was yummy!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:41 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post
I would agree that the textured line would pose a risk of burning your finger. It happend to my friend last weekend while he was stripping. Seems a large bull just yanked on his fly burning his finger with plain vanilla fly line. I brought my 6 and 8 wt with me for reds 17-30+" long. I brought the 8 for windy days which is all we had but nothing more than say 20 knots. For calm days I would have been tempted to use my 6. FWIW, you won't be casting very far though you may be tempted when the action is slow to cover more water. Most of the reds we all caught were within 40 yards. It's nice to reach out but unless it's gusting, you won't have to. Pick a line that you can chuck out quickly without having too many false casts. Sometimes you'll have a quick roll and 1 cast. Good luck and I hope you do well. We ate one of the reds I caught last night and it was yummy!
In my experience, the sharkskin lines EAT skin and I strongly dislike them because of it...

However the Mastery Textured Series of lines actually are less likely to burn your hands than a smooth line will...

I just can't stand the sound they make after a couple hours of fishing, so I went back to smooth lines...
mrfzx likes this.