The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 01:46 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rod for Louisiana Redfish

In trying to execute a quick pike strip the other day, some standard non-textured fly line burned the crease of my finger where the line was pinned... That's pretty interesting about the Mastery series being less likely to burn. However, I just picked up a nice pair of sun/poling gloves with built-in stripping guards... I invite any bull red or tarpon to give them a shot in a few weeks when I hit the salt

I did get a chance to try out the new Orvis 3D line... it's pretty slick, both figuratively and literally, so it may be a new contender in the textured line arena, depending on how noisy it is.

And Homer, I second your approval of the Rio Redfish taper... I just loaded my 8wt with it and it is spectacular. Can't wait to actually throw it at some redfish

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-06-2012, 09:22 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Based on my limited two trip experience with SA Textured Saltwater, I am impressed with it. I have experienced a crank down and grab situation to break off a 200 lb. lemon that ate my poor bone and it was no more tramatic than reg. Mastery Bonefish...and all my rigging held by the way; the #2 forged stainless Tiemco bent straight.

Does anyone know if thier is any difference in texture between the SA Textured and the SA-made Orvis "golf ball dimples"?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Based on my limited two trip experience with SA Textured Saltwater, I am impressed with it. I have experienced a crank down and grab situation to break off a 200 lb. lemon that ate my poor bone and it was no more tramatic than reg. Mastery Bonefish...and all my rigging held by the way; the #2 forged stainless Tiemco bent straight.

Does anyone know if thier is any difference in texture between the SA Textured and the SA-made Orvis "golf ball dimples"?
No difference, SA Mastery textured and the Orvis 3D lines have exact same texture technology...
Old 05-23-2012, 07:16 PM

matt o is on a distinguished road

Redington Predator 8wt. Over line it to 9wt. Great rod, great price. Pair it with a good large arbor reel and you will be good.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:31 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I settled on an 9ft, 8wt, 4pc, 9.5 tip flex Orvis Helios....got a fantastic deal, and a 9ft, 8wt, 4pc, TFO BVK for a back-up. Both cast amazingly well, and both are too lite to be true. The Helios edged the BVK out for the starting position.

Both are lined with the Warmwater Redfish taper WF-8-F from Rio. I have additional spools for the reels (a BVK III, and a Marryat 9) one is spooled with Rio warmwater/saltwater WF-8-F, and the other with the Redfish Orvis Wonderline WF-8-F.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:57 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

We wade fish upper and mid Texas coast for reds most weekends. Most of the time we don't have the advantage to sight casting, though that happens many trips

For this a bit father casting distance allows you to cover more area. The BVK is hard to beat for the money for this work. I love the SA Bonefish line and a simple 3 part leader (couple of sites give reciipe for these) no need for high dollar leaders. 8wt is a hard to beat choice, get a good durable reel but reds just don't burn into backing so no need to break the bank on a high dollar reel.

Good luck and post pics when you get back.

Pete A.