The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Rod for Louisiana Redfish

I have a trip booked for Redfish to Louisiana in June out of Sportsman's Paradise in Cocodrie (near Chauvre..spelling?). The guide in Capt. Blaine Townsend. I fished with him last August. He roccommends either an 8 or 7 weight rod. Last year I went over and under gunned at the same time. I took two rods: a 10wt BVK, and an 8 wt TiCrX, both from TFO. The 8 weight was fine, but a bit more rod than necessary, as anybody who fishes these sticks knows; the 8wt is probably more closely a 9and 1/2 weight rod. So this year i am planning a bit better....I hope.

I went to my school's football field with a bunch of rods in my arsenal: the 8wt TiCrX, a 7wt loomis Eastfork, a 7wt Loomis NRX (borrowed), an 8wt Orvis Silver label mid-flex, an 8wt March Brown, a 9wt Cortland CL, and a 7wt 10 foot JIm Teeny.

The Reds will run up to 10-12 pounds, but you have to keep them out of the reeds and brush. We will be sight casting in very shallow water, and often need to reach 80 feet or a bit more quickly......meaning minimal false casting. Capt. Blaine loves Spoon Flies, and his probably weigh 1/4 ounce give or take.

My quandry is this: of the rods listed above, I am able to get the most distance accurately from the TiCrX. The NRX casts nicely, but to my surprise, has a lot of flex....and is pretty expensive. I should note the NRX belongs to the guy taking me on the trip....so I won't be using it. I am looking for some reccommendations from the members here on what rods I should look at. Criteria: Very fast action (can't be too fast), 7wt, 9 foot, 4 piece, great warranty. I am a poor working class boy, so price will be a consideration.

Anybody got any suggestions. Right now a BVK is heading the list. Thanks in advance.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:27 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: Rod for Louisiana Redfish

I have a lot of experience in that area of the salt marsh...

If it was me, I would not want something super fast as the majority of your shots shouldn't be 80' away or even close...

BUT, a lot of people tend to get excited when sight fishing and speed up their stroke a lot and sometimes a fast rod can help counter-act that...

If you like the way the BVK casts and fishes, get it, TFO makes good stuff and stands behind it...

If you can, try and get your hands on a Scott A4, made in USA and are great sticks, I think you would like for that fishery...

P.S. Take some Gurglers

In my opinion, a good Louisiana Redfish stick would NOT be fast at all as most shots are closer than 40' down there. It's sort of pointless to cast 80' to wakers when you can poll closer and have less risk of botching your shot at them...

I am counting the days til I get back down there, next November can't come soon enough...

Last edited by kwb; 03-20-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:43 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

There were quite a few instances where the fish were up in areas less than 6 inches deep....I guess for the crabs. We had to cast where they were as the boat drafted a bit more water than that.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:52 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
There were quite a few instances where the fish were up in areas less than 6 inches deep....I guess for the crabs. We had to cast where they were as the boat drafted a bit more water than that.
Yeah, they get up there and chase Shrimp and whatnot on the Oyster beds, but you still typically never come close to 80' shots even in those situations...

I guess what I am getting at is, don't sacrifice your short game for a few hero shots. Get something that simply feels well to you at a variety of ranges, but don't go to gung ho on distance as it's not the norm and to me anyway, I would rather have a rod more suited to the short game as you can still punch em far when you need to, but taking a super stiff, fast actioned "typical saltwater taper" and trying to fish in close with them sucks...
Old 03-20-2012, 01:05 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Homer,

My goto 7wt is a TFO Axiom. I love the thing, it's probably closer to a 7.5 wt. It throws a RIO 8wt very well and has a decent backbone. It's the reason my 8wt Sage Launch see's no action
Old 03-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'd take an 8wt BVK with an 8 line, and a 9wt line for your 8wt TiCRX. An 8wt BVK and a 10wt BVK would be even better.

Taking some lighter spoonflies that will cast well on an 8wt line ain't a bad idea either. These really perform- Dupre Spoon Fly --- Orlando Outfitters Online-Store - We ship worldwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
I guess what I am getting at is, don't sacrifice your short game for a few hero shots. Get something that simply feels well to you at a variety of ranges, but don't go to gung ho on distance as it's not the norm and to me anyway, I would rather have a rod more suited to the short game as you can still punch em far when you need to, but taking a super stiff, fast actioned "typical saltwater taper" and trying to fish in close with them sucks...
I agree. Accuracy is the real key, and its much easier to be accurate under 60'.

In addition to the gurglers, I'd take some crease flies as well-

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:44 PM

Thanks to the original poster for ruining the rest of my day, now I want to head down there right now, even though it's a crummy time of year to be there

Regardless, nothing quite like the view from the platform in the Cajun Salt Marsh. Guess I will just have to keep dreaming til I head back down in November for 3 months...

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by kwb; 03-20-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:04 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Quote:
Capt. Blaine loves Spoon Flies, and his probably weigh 1/4 ounce give or take.
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I would not be a happy camper if I had just paid a Fly Guide $500 and he asked me to fly cast a 1/4oz spoon. That is a spinning lure. Is it just me?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I would not be a happy camper if I had just paid a Fly Guide $500 and he asked me to fly cast a 1/4oz spoon. That is a spinning lure. Is it just me?
While spoon flies can get quite heavy, I doubt any break 1/8 oz. They definitely shouldn't.

The heavier ones will be those made with Mylar tubing rather than the lure tape. The one's I linked to are flashier and aren't too heavy.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:30 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

That makes more sense to me. Light and flashy. I would like to get down there for some reds in a yak. Gotta get the yak first but I am looking seriously now.