The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 05:12 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pfluger Medalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post
Rip what is the function of the cut out on the reel?
Also as a side note. Were can I find schematics for the various fly reels?
That's so you can press against the back of the spool.... a customized drag.

This site has many reel schematics
Mike's Reel Repair - Free Online Schematics for Fishing Reels, Trolling Motors, and Downriggers - Home
I know where there's a few others if you can be more specific...... they're not as easy to find
Old 08-12-2010, 07:32 AM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Neat idea. Mikes does cover a few. Thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 11:57 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.

The 1498 with back cut should have a piece of leather tied on to protect your thumb while a fish runs. Lefty used this method for years. The other 2 reels are anti reverse and all 3 have seen the salt for years. Also check out http://www.onepfoot.com/
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-12-2010, 01:10 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Bob
In Lefty's books he describes two different methods of modifying reel drags. The cut out as on my Medalists, and a leather pad added on rim control reels
You're combining them
Old 08-13-2010, 06:47 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I checked my book and you are right there, but I saw lefty at the beach for years in seaside park nj. and I am sure he had a piece of leather mounted on the back. I too have the cut out on my 1498. Get a 20lb. tuna on and you'll want the leather.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-15-2010, 05:27 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I always find it amusing. On any given fly fishing forum, on almost any given day, you see a question - I'd like to start fly fishing, but don't want to spend a fortune.

The answer they always receive, you need a $450 dollar rod and a $150 reel as a starter. As you progress, you will have to upgrade.

Fifty years ago, that type of equipment didn't even exist, but some how people managed to catch fish, sometimes alot of them. Granted, today's equipment is nice stuff, and nothing wrong with using it. However it is nice to be reminded all the bells and whistles are not necessary to have. You can still have alot of fun fishing with some pretty basic equipment.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-21-2010, 09:07 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

There is a book about Ted Williams fishing the "Big Three, Tarpon, Atlantic Salmon, Bonefish. In some of the photos he has a Pfluger Medalist- being used by a guy that could afford any reel made.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
There is a book about Ted Williams fishing the "Big Three, Tarpon, Atlantic Salmon, Bonefish. In some of the photos he has a Pfluger Medalist- being used by a guy that could afford any reel made.
The final episode of the TV show The Fishin' Hole with Jerry McKinnis had Jerry, Ted Williams, and coach Bobby Knight fishing for Atlantic salmon in Russia. They show clearly that Mr Williams is using a Fenwick glass rod with a Medalist reel.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:46 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
I always find it amusing. On any given fly fishing forum, on almost any given day, you see a question - I'd like to start fly fishing, but don't want to spend a fortune.

The answer they always receive, you need a $450 dollar rod and a $150 reel as a starter. As you progress, you will have to upgrade.

Fifty years ago, that type of equipment didn't even exist, but some how people managed to catch fish, sometimes alot of them. Granted, today's equipment is nice stuff, and nothing wrong with using it. However it is nice to be reminded all the bells and whistles are not necessary to have. You can still have alot of fun fishing with some pretty basic equipment.
Ohhhhhh sooooo true!

Used PM's for years, for everything save fishing the salt (regular salt gear there). Only time I ever had one give up on me was with a 'mega-King' on the end of my fly line. That was 'over the top' for the 1495-1/2.

Warped the frame. Wish I'd kept that puppy; hell of a memory, hell of a fish.
fae