The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 11:46 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Pfluger Medalist

I read a few years back in the Florida Sportsman that this reel was (at least in former times) used in salt water. I just assumed the finish wasn't very good and the reel would corrode pronto however I am now reading Lefty Kreh's book about fly fishing salt water and he speaks of a modified medalist reel. In any event- have any of you used this reel in salt water??? If so, how did it stand up to corrosion?
Old 07-10-2010, 11:56 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pfluger Medalist

This is a post for Rip Tide.

MP
Old 07-11-2010, 08:09 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Recently, on a regional saltwater forum, there was a question posed to "pioneer" northeast saltwater flyrodders on what equipment they used when they first started. Every single person that replied to the thread stated that even though they knew that there were better reels, they all used Medalists.

When I started in the salt in the late '70s, I used a Medalist, but that was because that's what I had. I learned quickly that they required daily maintenance. They tended to corrode anywhere that the salt could collect, particularly where stainless meets aluminum, and the (hidden) brass springs.

I still know a few casual SW fly fishermen that use Medalists. I might use one more often myself if I wasn't too lazy to go through the daily ritual of washing and oiling.
After reading Lefty's book, I modified a couple of my reels, and IMO you can't buy a reel with a drag that works any better.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:37 AM

To date I've fished fresh but for the price maybe I'll think about it. I'm a "gear nut" in the respect all my stuff ( fishing-hunting) has to be squeaky clean. I don't mind the chore. For the price I can probably use it a while and that may help me decide what I eventually need in a better reel. Are there any other $50 ish reels around that are in the same category? I think I read about a Cortland reel in graphite some guy had used for years on smaller redfish.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Red,

That Cortland is probably an LTD Graphite 100. I have a number 60 and it is a good reel for light steelhead and trout. I've never used it in salt water but corrosion probably wouldn't be a problem. They were produced back in the 80's and maybe the 90's. I got mine as a gift from a fishing buddy in 94 and by the looks of the faded box it had been sitting around for 10 years. I like it, they look like a Marquis #7 and the #100's turn up on web sales now and then around $60.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-11-2010, 08:20 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I use to use medalists too, then went to the medalist supremes. I caught my first and biggest bonefish on a medalist in the early 70's and managed to land it even though the little pin that goes into the nylon drag bushing dug a furrow onto the nylon and I had to use my fingers on the line to apply drag.

As Riptide says, they used to corrode before you could finish a cigarrette once it got started. My Pfleuger Supremes did the same thing, but not before I had caught a lot of fish on them. They had a star drag good enough for tarpon, though not nearly as smooth as those of today.

All the screws had to be removed regularly, inspected then coated with fingernail polish and re-inserted or new ones re-inserted with fingernail polish. Every place two pieces of metal touched they had to be cleaned and oiled or they would start corroding, even with freshwater rinsing.

That's a great modification there Rip, wish I had thought of that.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-11-2010, 11:31 PM

That modification is what Lefty Kreh shows in his book- do your finger tips get blistered?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:37 AM

floridaflyer is on a distinguished road
Default Pflueger Medalist

Hello from Central Florida. New to this forum.

I own a number of classic Pflueger Medalist reels and they do work great. I have taken one out on the salt several times, but I can't say that I've used it enough under those conditions to make a fair assessment. I can say that under casual use, they hold up very well.

Ed
Old 08-11-2010, 09:15 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
That modification is what Lefty Kreh shows in his book- do your finger tips get blistered?
Sorry. Didn't see this before
Your fingers tickle a little, but no they don't blister
You have a lot of control over the drag as you can let up or apply more pressure in an instant without moving your hand. Anywhere from nothing to stopping the spool completely
Old 08-11-2010, 04:46 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

As with anything fishing that one uses in Saltwater requires frequent maintenance. I was given this link for those that want to upgrade a Medalist. I have never seen or used any of these products. But pretty cool stuff.
One-Pfoot Products for Pflueger Medalist
Rip what is the function of the cut out on the reel?
Also as a side note. Were can I find schematics for the various fly reels?