The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2007, 01:29 PM

HELLFIGHTER5308 is on a distinguished road
Default Saltwater Fly Recommendation?

I'm new to fly fishing. I have an 8 wt. 9 foot rod and 7/8/9 reel. I want to target reds, trout, jacks, blues, ladyfish, etc. I would appreciate any fly recommendations from anyone who has a favorite fly or pattern. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:10 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Saltwater Fly Recommendation?

Clouser. in varying sizes and weights lead eyes bead chain...work it like a bait fish...work it like a jig...always tie it with loop
Old 10-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

HELLFIGHTER5308,

Can't miss with Clousers and I would also try an all white popper with a white tail. This can be deadly on inland waters. You can buy these in kit form and make your own. The kit contains everything you need. A loop knot is also good with these. Jacks and Ladyfish will thear these up.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Chartreuse and white clousers. Get some with bead chain eyes and some with heavier eyes. I like size 4, size 2 is more popular in FL from what I know.

Lots of others will work, but I don't know of any as reliable and productive as that fly.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:07 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLFIGHTER5308 View Post
I'm new to fly fishing. I have an 8 wt. 9 foot rod and 7/8/9 reel. I want to target reds, trout, jacks, blues, ladyfish, etc. I would appreciate any fly recommendations from anyone who has a favorite fly or pattern. Thanks.
HellFighter5308,

Clousers, decievers, shrimp patterns. reds, browns, and greens, for the clousers and decievers. shrimp patterns darks and light. you might also want some #2,#4,#6 gummy minnows, glades minnows.

where are you going to be fishing mostly?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:14 PM

HELLFIGHTER5308 is on a distinguished road

I will be fishing the St.Johns River around docks and pilings, marsh areas with shell bottoms, intra-coastal waterway, jetties. I will wade fish the most, in these areas but I have a canoe and a boat.
I generally like to fish the last part of a falling tide or the first part of a rising tide.
These patterns that everyone has suggested, I am assuming they are sinking types with the exception of the poppers, correct?
Thanks.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:50 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

hellfighter5308,

you are correct about clousers. decievers are sub surface to mid water. shrimp patterns are usualy mid water to bottom. your best bet for fly patterns is to "match the hatch", (what natural baits are in the area) and go to your local fly shop and select patterns from there.

I have found down here that the turning of the tides to be best for catching snook, reds, tarpon, trout...etc. usualy the first 30 min or so of each tide to produce the best bite. Look for concentrations of bait around briges, piers, and docks, that will tell you how the fish are feeding. then you can choose the best fly for the job.