The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 04:03 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod for the North East?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch View Post
Good stuff. Thanks again guys. I cut my teeth in the salt years ago when I lived on the Texas Gulf. Since I have moved to CT, I haven't fish for anything other than trout and I am starting to feel that I am missing out on something great. I got a lot to learn, things seem pretty different. In Corpus, all a guy needed was a 7wt or an 8wt with a floating line and a handful of Clousers and Deceivers.
Like Rip said, you can do that in the NE. The only difference is we refuse to stop fishing when the wind starts howling. In those conditions you need to make a few adjustments. If you wait for a day on the surf with no wind your gear won't get much use...
Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

Don't get me wrong, it got windy in Texas as well. I was just able to beat it most of the time by fishing early in the morning or just at sunset. Ahhh the memories!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:59 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

Well I think I have my solution. I plan to get both an 8wt and a 10wt. I plan to get the 10wt first then a couple of months later, pick up the 8wt. That will let me cover what I need to cover on both the lighter side and the heavier side depending on my mood or where I am at. Now I just got to start the fundraising!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:17 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

There you go. When in doubt, buy 2!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I see you're in Middletown.
Last weekend's reports are that the stripers are in the river to there and beyond. There's very few places in that area that are fly rod friendly from shore, especially when the water's up, but there will be legal sized fish along the coast about the same time the lilacs come into bloom
(next week)
Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 AM

I never would have thought that. Interesting. I know of a place a bit further south that has access to the river with some decent casting room. Maybe I'll have to check that out. I just always had the mental picture of the coastline in my head.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The stripers follow the alewives (river herring) all the way up the river to the Enfield rapids
Around the mouths of tributaries where the alewives spawn are can be very good and supposedly the alewife run this year is strong.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I never would have thought that. Interesting. I know of a place a bit further south that has access to the river with some decent casting room. Maybe I'll have to check that out. I just always had the mental picture of the coastline in my head.
You'd be surprised how far they travel. Hudson river Stripers will swim all the way up to the Troy dam. That's over 170 miles from the mouth of NY harbor. If the dam wasn't there I'm sure they'd go farther...
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 PM

Well I did it today, I picked up a nice little 10wt. I still have to wait a couple of weeks before I get a reel for it though. Decided to keep the 7wt too. All in all a good day. Now it's time to tie up some clousers and deceivers and start learning as much about this salt game as I can. In no time at all I will be standing out on the tip of a snot-slick jetty shooting line into a gale at crashing fish.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
......and start learning as much about this salt game as I can.
You might want to pick up a book.....
IMO the best on the subject is Fly Rodding the Coast by CT author Ed Mitchell
You can get a signed copy from him HERE