The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 12:40 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about
Default Rod for the North East?

Hello all,

I am about to pick up a new rod for NE stripper. I am thinking either a 9wt or 10wt and I would like a little insight as to which one to get. Right now I only have a 7wt that I am thinking about selling to free up some funds. I have been told for the big striper, I absolutely need a 10wt but others have said a 9wt will do and is more versatile for other fisheries such as the Bahamas. Part of me says the 9wt because it is closer to what I know and will work better for reds and bones but the other side of me says just get the 10wt. Any suggestions?
Old 04-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod for the North East?

I may be the wrong one to answer here because I always opt for the biggest rod in any situation. But if it was me I'd hang on to the 7 and get the 10. Someday you will want the 7 again and you will have to fork out the big bucks which the rod you sold won't cover.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:20 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Will you be wading or boating? In the surf or bays? I've landed 30+lb Stripers on a 7WT but the problem will be the wind and the size of the fly. You want a 9 or 10wt to be able to reach the fish not so much for the fight. If I'm fishing a single handed rod from the surf I always take a 10wt, boats and back bays I can get away with a 9 or even lighter based on the conditions. Here are the two extremes in my waters:
1. CinderWorm Hatch - Happens on muddy flats in protected bays. I use small cinderworm flies size 2-6, floating line and a 7wt
2. Bunker schools in the surf - rough surf, wind, big baits. I use big bait fish flies 1/0-3/0 int or sink tips and a 10WT.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:25 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I normally use an 8wt rod with a 9 or 10wt line, but when the wind is howling I switch to a 10wt rod with 10wt full sink line to better power through the wind.
My fishing partner almost always stays with his 9wt rod, 9wt line, only going to a 10wt when the wind is above 20 knots
You don't necessarily need a big rod to land big fish. But you do need the heavy line to cast the big flies, especially in the wind
Old 04-24-2012, 01:29 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Good advise Dan. As far as Stripers go it really depends on where and what size fish are expected. I've caught Stripers on rods ranging from a 5wt all the way to an 11wt. A few guys on this forum use Spey/switch rods that are even heavier. It's a situational thing. In the surf the switch and the 10 and 11wts have the advantage. From a boat unless your into real cows 8,9,10 wts work fine. I fish a river estuary and a back bay harbor and my favorite rod is an 8wt for fish up to 25lbs. When I was a kid that same harbor used to load up in the spring with 16 to 18in. Schoolies and we used 5wts all day long and had a blast. Dans right go big but save the 7wt. It may be your rod of choice in many situations!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-24-2012, 02:44 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the feedback guys. Lots of good info. For the most part, I don't see myself fishing from a boat. I guess I'll be in the estuaries or surf mostly. So the 10wt is primarily used to get a bigger fly or a heavier line that will sink below the chop faster?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:07 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Lots of good info. For the most part, I don't see myself fishing from a boat. I guess I'll be in the estuaries or surf mostly. So the 10wt is primarily used to get a bigger fly or a heavier line that will sink below the chop faster?
Yes, moving bigger flies in wind is easier with a 10, or an overlined 9.
I use a 10 and a 30' T14 Rio sink tip. A full sink line will be more difficult to bring back to the surface for a cast. The full sink lines will serve two purposes:
1. The will get below the chop
2. Like Rip said they have a smaller diameter which allows them to cut through the wind better

Almost forgot, if your going to hit the surf buy or make a stripping basket. Rip posted a step by step around here somewhere...
Old 04-24-2012, 03:10 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So the 10wt is primarily used to get a bigger fly or a heavier line that will sink below the chop faster?
Most guys use an intermediate line to get below the chop. I'm a floating line guy myself and only switch to sinking lines if I really need to.
In this picture I'm using a 10wt floating line on a 10', 8wt rod
I like that rig in the surf because I have the line control to make long mends over the breakers. Not the style that most people use, but it works for me

Here's an excellent post by Mark in the FAQ sub-forum http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...hing-surf.html

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 04-24-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:45 PM

Good stuff. Thanks again guys. I cut my teeth in the salt years ago when I lived on the Texas Gulf. Since I have moved to CT, I haven't fish for anything other than trout and I am starting to feel that I am missing out on something great. I got a lot to learn, things seem pretty different. In Corpus, all a guy needed was a 7wt or an 8wt with a floating line and a handful of Clousers and Deceivers.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
. In Corpus, all a guy needed was a 7wt or an 8wt with a floating line and a handful of Clousers and Deceivers.
You could do that here.
I live in eastern CT myself. Here's a good resource to help you find a few places to fish.
Connecticut Coastal Access Guide - Home