The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 11:00 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: reasons to saltwater fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Like it says below, I like to hunt fish. I can drive two hours to Port Aransas and have thousands of acres of water less than 3' deep and hundreds of thousands of redfish roaming around that will eat a fly.

Reason #11: The hunt, stalk, and eat.
Man, i wish I'd thought of that when i lived in San Antonio!

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-25-2012, 11:25 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

You actually get to see your backing other than just on the real.. Oh wait i could do that here if I just caught bigger fish.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

TEETH!!!!! And sharp gutting gill plates.

and the whole you can fishin the sun on a flat in clear blue water...whats not to love about that. With that being said, I really want to wade fish for lemon sharks with a 12wt.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-25-2012, 05:43 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Bluefish.... a fish so mean that they kill for fun.

Beach bunnies in bikinis.... nuff said
swirlchaser likes this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 04-25-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:20 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I miss the jersey coast !!! had to move far away..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Because anything is possible. I don't get to do it but once a year, but for that week I spend every dawn out on the sand. Who knows if they day will yield stripers, blues, or flounder...or all three plus a few.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I could ever give up the salt. I've never lived more than 10 miles from a saltwater coast of some sort.
That being said, I don't think I enjoy sweet water any less. For me it's not better or worse, just different.
Here's what I enjoy most about flyfishing the salt:
1. Tying saltwater flies
2. Being in the surf
3. Fishing jetties
4. The smell of the salt
Old 04-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Tides,

Fishing in oceans opened the door to my learning about tides. What causes them and what are the affects on the fishing from the beach. When you first look at an ocean or even a bay you see what looks like an unfathomable expanse of water. I thought that I would have to just cast out and hope for the best. After some learning it became clear that I could read the water even at the shore, it just required another book.

I agree that many of the fish taken in salt water are really good to eat also. Here you can drag a little bunny fur comet along the bottom and catch flounder

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-26-2012, 02:02 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Redfish are pretty tasty when prepared in a variety of ways... as are sheepshead (the saltwater-dwelling type, not freshwater drum)... as are snook... as are mahi... Yeah, freshwater fish are definitely quite palatable, when I choose to keep them!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 PM

smalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura about

What I loved (and miss the most) about salt water fishing is the knowledge that the next bite might be something that took every inch of line off my reel and snapped it like kite string without me ever knowing what it was! You'd just turn to your fishing partner with a stunned look on your face and tell a few lies about what you thought it must have been...(tuna offshore and tarpon or giant jack cravelle inshore) then go bak to fishing.
Man it makes me even more ready for Memorial day! Heading home to Pensacola to a wedding, a birthday party, and 3 days of fishing!

Stan