The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007, 09:54 AM

HELLFIGHTER5308 is on a distinguished road
Default Leader and tippet advice.

I have a 9ft., 8wt. rod, 7/8/9 wt. reel with 8 wt. line and a 9 ft. tapered leader. Now for my question. I will be fishing for reds, trout, and other toothy saltwater fish. What tippet should I use? Can I just tie on a 1 or 2 foot piece of 12 or 15 pound mono? Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks, Kenny, Jacksonville, Fl
Old 11-18-2007, 04:26 AM

wfosborn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Leader and tippet advice.

Hi Kenny,

Up here in Alaska fishing for all kinds of salmon I use 1-3' of 20lb mono with 3-5' of 13lb floro on the end. Got the combo from a really good flyfisher up here and has worked well for me. Haven't had anything break if I keep up on it, and it can turn over the heaviest of the flies I use for casting. I just adjust the length of the pieces to get the depth I want, most salmon other than sockeye don't seem to care much about the length.

--W
Old 11-18-2007, 06:24 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

cut your 9' leader back to 8ft, then add a 12" piece of 20lb shock tippet..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-18-2007, 09:23 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLFIGHTER5308 View Post
I have a 9ft., 8wt. rod, 7/8/9 wt. reel with 8 wt. line and a 9 ft. tapered leader. Now for my question. I will be fishing for reds, trout, and other toothy saltwater fish. What tippet should I use? Can I just tie on a 1 or 2 foot piece of 12 or 15 pound mono? Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks, Kenny, Jacksonville, Fl
IMO if I was targeting Reds lookin for them...on flats type water I would start with a 9 foot tapered ending 16 or 12 depending how shy they are then after a few fly changes on the one piece... tie on another 1-2 feet of 12 or 16 ...same for trout...I would risk a fly to spanish to catch reds...I always tie a loop knot to the fly...now if you want to step up the tippet check the diameters of Gamma Deep Blue tippet against usual mono or floro for example deep blue 30 IGFA is only .017 in
Old 11-18-2007, 06:23 PM

HELLFIGHTER5308 is on a distinguished road

To all who responded to my question, I thank you all. I'm going to try my hand at making some homemade leader of my own, using your advice. Thanks again.

Kenny, Jacksonville, Fl