The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 04:40 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Mid Atlantic coast

Hey guys if any one is in the Delaware or maryland coast fishing for big blues and stripers is red hot lots of blues between 5 and 15lbs and stripers up tp 30lbs. The wind has not been very cooperative but when i have been able to fish its been good. They wont be here long as the water temps cool they will keep moving south. Got a fat 39" striper at dark last night it wieghed in at 28lbs a nice 20 minute battle on a 9wt. Come and get some!!!
jim
Old 11-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Mid Atlantic coast

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your report. Stripers are one of the fish I have never fished for.

Frank
Old 11-20-2007, 05:46 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Hi Frank
Striper fishing can be awesome at certain times it is usually alot of looking and waiting then the weather is another story, the worst weather seems to be the best times to catch them so you need to cast flies into some stiff winds and waves. On the other hand when your hooked up with a striper the fight is awesome even the small ones are true warriors, and the ones that are 20lbs plus make the wind and waves seem alittle smaller. They make me get up at 4am and fish in cold rainy windy conditions, i just wish i had time to follow them up and down the coast. The season in my area is short maybe a 3 week long spring run when they pass by in the spring and again in the fall. I do fish for a variety of other saltwater fishes but stripers are my favorite. if you ever get up this way look me up. I see your from florida i have caught landlocked fresh water striper in South Carolina at Lake Marion they are probally the closest one to you and Lake marion is an awesome lake. Give them a try i think you would enjoy it.

Jim
Old 11-20-2007, 07:16 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Up until I moved 2 years ago I was chasin stripers, blues, and albie's fro mass to the carolinas..I spent almost 2 years livin in my van..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

here are some pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meandvan.jpg (62.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg highwater.jpg (21.2 KB, 15 views)
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

Old 11-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the invite. I have friends in North Carolina that live on the coast but have never got up that way. I have been to East Tennessee a few times and one day I might try Cherokee Lake for striper's.

Frank
Old 11-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the pictures. They tell me you are a fly fisherman intent on catching fish. Looks like a good setup for the beach. When my fishing partner and I was fishing Alaska we had planes, boats, trucks, campers, show machines and everything else that might help us catch more fish. Looking back on the experience I don't know how my wife put up with it.

Frank
Old 11-20-2007, 06:43 PM

Hey sandfly
Nice beach buggy i am a jeep guy myself on my 3rd one, Wrangler full cooler rack with 6 rod holders, mostly fish delaware and assateague island. I have also been known to hit OBX when i can, i own a plumbing business and just can't get away long enough a 4 day weekend is my max. i have NOT caught an albie yet but have tried harkers island at the right time but it was blowing 40 plus so we partied all weekend, maybe next year. i just heard of a 61lber caught near Ship John lighthouse on a boat out of fortescue NJ. That's HUGE (on bait not a fly anyone can do that) it's all good sure beat working
Jim
Old 11-20-2007, 07:07 PM

xjguy07 is on a distinguished road

hey i live on marylands eastern shore, alot of ppl here fish for strippers with rod and reed off big work boats, but i've never given it a try with the fly rod. and it's nice to here you a jeep guy, i have a xj cherokee 6 inch lift and 31's i love takeing it out to western md and do some trail rideing and fishing up in the mouitans.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:37 AM

Nice thing about the van it has a full size bed,heater, fridge, stove,shower,and port-a-potty..All the comforts of home...61lb what? there was a 61lb striper caught off of Long Island recently..pics are on another forum.. Arn't jeeps for kids...lol...nice thing about the van its stock except for turning up the suspension and tires..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215