The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 04:12 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default Re: Need help starting out Surf FF

Well you,ve heard from some of the masters, I'm from the left coast and will add this link, there is good information on reading a beach.

Glenn Yoshimoto's Zen Fly Fishing

Its a informational site and has not been updated in a very long time buts its good reading, good luck.

Rick

Last edited by oarfish; 05-09-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Spelling,I should of put my glasses on!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 PM

auriemma is on a distinguished road

I went out to pick up #20 test mono... came home with SpiderWire EZBraid (green) #20 mono. Thing is, its .009" (.23mm) diameter. Is that too thin?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:32 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by auriemma View Post
I went out to pick up #20 test mono... came home with SpiderWire EZBraid (green) #20 mono. Thing is, its .009" (.23mm) diameter. Is that too thin?
As long as it turns over you should be fine. Where your fishing your only issue may be Bluefish teeth. Other than that you'll be fine.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:37 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

On a side note, Hey Swirl have you ever tied on Circle hooks? I was fishing the Flats one night and had that knotable wire tippet after a while it looked like a slinky and I couldn't buy a fish. Long story short a fella handed me a deciever tied on a circle hook and I ended up landing a few more fish and never got so much as a nick on the mono. After a while on another outing I lost the fly but starting tying more on the circle hooks and still lost some here and there but not as many as you would think. It seemed like if I were to cast right into the middle of a blitz the chances to lose the fly went up with the competition thing happening but if I stayed to the edges and targeted the stragglers I could land fish no problems. The hard part was to not strip strike and let the fish handle it on its own but every landed fish had the fly tucked into the corner of the mouth away from the chompers, the other hard part was holding back from putting the fly right into the frenzy!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:26 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I've tied on circles some, not a lot, but they can be useful. On bluefish, definitely a good choice. Casting into blitzing Blues can also cause another issue, they don't care what they bite & will often bite right thru leaders, tippets, lines. Don't matter if you're using metal bite tippets either. The edges is where you should be casting.

Your slinky issue may just be because the bite tippet was too long. I've had them get kinked some but not as bad as you're describing. I only use about 4-6 inches of metal. In those blitzing situations, you don't usually need to be particular about flies either. Not like searching where you don't know what might be lurking. I tie flies for Blues with various synthetics, like some of the kinky nylon type, and well back on the hook, like a Keys style Tarpon fly. Then epoxy coat the thread head for as much durability as I can get. They still chew them up, but not like a fly tied with less durable materials.

Here's some flies I've tied for Bluefish, and you can certainly tie this type on a circle hook as well. Notice I use dark metal too, shiny gets hit too much IMO. I make some up & keep them in my boxes. I'll also use the knottable leader if the situation arises. The top & bottom fly are what I would throw to blitzing Blues, the others more so for searching when I know they're around, but not churning the surface.:

Click the image to open in full size.

Another:
Click the image to open in full size.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-12-2012, 03:46 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i have tried circle hooks but never could hook anything that bit.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:16 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I fly fish South Jersey one week a year, so I'm no expert, but I'd advise to make sure you take everything with you. I have yet to find a shop in south Jersey that takes fly fishing remotely seriously. Don't count out flounder...I've caught some nice ones off the point and beach on the Stone Harbor side of Hereford Inlet just above North Wildwood.

If you feel like a little drive, you are most likely to find other fly fishers at Corson's Inlet State Park at the south end of Ocean City. I've run into others nearly every time I've fished there. One fine August day, I ran into ONLY flyfishermen at Corson's.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:29 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

As Bash notes, the trick with circles is to let the fish set the hook. When fishing with spinning gear, you don't bassmaster-set the hook. There's no ripping lips with circles, you just start reeling and it turns the hook into the corner and you're off to the races. For fly anglers, a steady pull on the line will do the same thing; not a fast strip like your standard strip-strike but just enough to keep tension on the hook and turn the circle into the corner. If you set the hook like a conventional bend, what you're doing is never giving the hook the chance to turn and seat as it should. You're basically doing a similar thing as you're trying to do when using the mono trick to remove a hook from an arm/neck/other body part!

As far as stripers go, sorry I can't be of more help! I'm hopefully going to hit the coast with Marco or one of my buddies from Buffalo some time to get some striper/yellow-eyed demon experience! All the surfcasting I've done has had snook as the primary quarry

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-14-2012, 08:27 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Snook fishing doesn't seem too far off from stripers. I never chased after them with a fly but all the stuff I would use with gear rods was the same, they like the same type of hideouts and both have that gnarly edge on their gillplates that make a suicide blade seem as sharp as a spoon! I'm looking at a framed photo on my wall of a 23lb snook caught of the causeway over the Indian River down in Hutchison Island Fla. with my grandfather. I must have been 10 or 12 right in front of Poor Bob's Bait and Tackle on the Stuart side of the causeway.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I've done all three. Circle hooks, tie way back on a long shank hook, and use wire. They all work but I'm too disorganized to use one steady system. I usually start with 20lb mono and a fly, is I start getting chewed up I'll scramble through my bag and come up with one of the three options above.