The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 02:41 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough
Default Hilton Head cobia

So I am going to my timeshare in Hilton Head Island south carolina and have pre booked a charter to fish for cobia and shark(if the water is calm enough). He said he can find a setup if I don't have my own but my question is what do you guys reccomend I have a 10 weight with a budget reel on it that I wouldn't be concerned with if salt got to it. my 10 weight is a 7'10 heat rod that I bought for pike and musky and it casts awsome. So if you agree that set up is fine what flies do you reccomend as well as leader(pound test/or wire?). From you guys with experience how far is the average casting distance and what kind of fight am I looking at? Any feedback is good feedback to me so throw down your two sense please and thank you!!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:46 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hilton Head cobia

You will be pounded! Make sure your rod has enough backbone to head the cobia off before he hits a wreck or some other impossible place to get out of. Also you will want 150 or more yards of backing if your chasing sharks and cobia . Talk to your captain before you go and ask him what scenarios your fishing in . Open water sharks depending on the species require a decent amount of backing . I've had blue sharks just about empty 150 yards of backing on a 12wt in an open water chumming situation where your hooking up 20 ft from the boat. Also let your captain determine your leader whether wire or not he knows the game even if he is a conventional operation. If your fishing smaller sharks like bonnetheads and sharpnose you canto lighter. Blues ., threshers,makos and hammers all require heavier gear. For them I like a 12 wt with an antireverse reel.
Match your equipment to what your charter tells you. He will determine what you bring.

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Bonnetheads are a prevalent inshore shark in S. C . And can be had with an 8 wt. Crabby flys are good for cobia but shark it all depends on how and what your going after .
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-17-2012, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback I am pumped up to get out ther, this will be my first saltwater flyfishing adventure. I will tell the captain that he should bring a set up for me and I'll bring mine anyway and see what happens. This was vey helpfull and I will make sure I do a full report and hopfully have some pictures!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:05 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

It's alot of fun especially if you get into something decent. You will be surprised how much power a small one can have. Recently I watched my son fight a fish that took his 6th under the boat and splintered it . Was only an 8 lb bonnethead but watching the fight seemed like something much bigger. Enjoy you'll become addicted guaranteed!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-18-2012, 08:51 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If it were me, I'd want to bring a rod along anyway in case I had the opportunity to fish for reds and specks. I know that when I go some place like that and I'm not prepared I usually regret it.

My buddy was there at a conference a couple of years ago and while fishing from shore a guy in a boat spotted him, stopped, and asked if he wanted to go out. ...Ya never know.

What kind of cheap reel are you concerned about ?
I used Medalist reels in the salt for 18 years before I even owned a disk-drag and they're not exactly expensive.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:08 PM

Its a stock 7/8/9 redington crosswater reel with 175 yards of stock dacron line and 10 weight line
Old 05-22-2012, 12:46 PM

Never mind I got a pool cue fenwick ten weight with the back bone of an 11 or 12 and just got a gold cup 10 to 12 weight reel with 300 yards of 50 pound backing........saved by the paycheck im good to go now!!!