The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 PM

redyote is on a distinguished road
Default Did someone trick the noob?

So I'm at Orvis today in Destin when the salesman told me that he went out at night with a light. He said the fishes' eyes reflected the light, then you cast to them. Anyone familiar with this?
Old 05-27-2012, 11:08 PM

monello will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Did someone trick the noob?

I have never heard of this trick. Did he mention what species of fish? With all the things I have read about fishing over the years this has never come up.

The more I think about this, the less I believe it. He may have been pulling your leg.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:10 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I always heard if you shine a light in Florida you can see the gators eyes light up. Never heard that about a fish though.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:23 PM

He said it was effective for lady fish.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:18 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

yep, on my girlfriend's parent's boat in the keys at night, we would look for fish, crabs, and anything else with a big spot light. The smaller food gets illuminated, and the fish come to eat. we would see lots of spooky looking ladyfish eyes. They are about small trout size though, not really what you are trying to catch in Florida.

Some people use a campfire or lights for night fishing for catfish. If their food is lit up, chances are it could be good.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:19 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyote View Post
So I'm at Orvis today in Destin when the salesman told me that he went out at night with a light. He said the fishes' eyes reflected the light, then you cast to them. Anyone familiar with this?
Did you ask if he was Fishing for Crocs as they really stand out at night?
I've Fished a lot at Night however even though from time to time you see Fish I haven't really noticed Their eyes,Shrimp really stand out as they have Big eyes & are luminous.
Brian.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:26 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Ok......generally flashing any light on
The water in SW fishing is akin to kissing the fish goodbye. In freshwater you can see Walleye eyes along the shoreline at night by using a light but I still wouldn't do it. In saltwater baitfish swim in and out of bridge lights but the predators like snook and stripers hide in the shadowline ready to ambush the confused baitfish.
Tell the guy you talked with to flash a light on the water at Montauk during the Striper run and see if he gets off the beach alive!
Rip Tide likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm new to saltwater. I had hoped for a guide, but not this time. I'll keep at it; looking like an idiot has never stopped me from trying.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:35 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Stripers, Snook, whatever you're after can get used to stationary lights, such as those on bridges & docks, but I agree with the above, flashing a flashlight is not usually a good thing & can spook the fish. I don't do much night fishing, more so when I was younger, and we used a small light with a red lens for tying knots & changing flies, otherwise the light stayed off.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-28-2012, 12:03 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Back in my Bassing days I would throw a " Spider Light" ( floating headlight) overboard to attract the bait fish & fish just outside the cone of light. It really worked on quiet, still nights around weedbeds. I haven't bass fished in a while & I gave the light to a buddy who fishes the Salt, & I really don't know if he ever used it. I'll ask.
I never heard of being able to see fish's eyes with a flashlight. Now I have a red light on my vest that I use for night fishing, at least until the bats come out.