The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 10:04 AM

aespen is on a distinguished road
Default Lefty's Rods

Has anyone used the Kefty Kreh rods that are being offered by Temple Fork? I used one recently while on a guided trip and really liked it. I found it particularly easy to cast. I am considering purchasing a 12 wt to go with my Abel Super 11 reel. It sells for almost $500 less than a comparable rod by Sage, GLoomis, etc. so I am a bit worried that it may not be reliable. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:19 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Lefty's Rods

I have one of the 10 wt's, & have had it for several years now. It's been a highly reliable rod for me. I've never used any of the newer high end rods, and I'm sure some feel they're worth the price. I cast some Sage rods many years ago & liked the way they cast, but couldn't afford them back then. GLoomis still makes some very good rods, and I would love to own a couple of them, not just their fly rods. But I still cannot afford the higher price. I have 2 custom fly rods and a Cabala's rod that are all built on early Loomis blanks. (Made by Loomis, not their top of the line stuff!)

IMO, if the TFO rod works well for you & what you want to use it for & you like the way it casts, why would you want to spend $500 more for a rod, to do the same with it? To me it doesn't make financial sense, but to others that's a decision they make.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I own a closet full of them. I like most of them but they have evolved over the years. The TiCr, X, and Axiom rods are great rods but they are all fast action rods and most like a line wt up(the TiCr series is my favorite). I think the newer series like the BVK's are dialed in just right.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

What are you going to be using a 12 weight for?

During my 2007 trip to Loreto, Mexico, I decided to use a backup TiCrX to see what it was all about. I found that the rod has plenty of lifting power due to its very stiff butt section. When it came to casting, it felt heavy and was not as accurate as the distance stretched out. I also noticed that the ferrule between the butt section and the next kept loosening.

On that same trip, another guy on the trip broke one of his 10 weight TiCrX. I think that this break was due to user error. He had a large bull Dorado on. The fish was at the boat, then it made a dive straight down. The guy was not ready for that burst of energy. The rod slammed down into the gunwale and broke.

Dennis
Old 05-30-2012, 10:29 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I have an 8wt BVK and love the thing. It is really quite smooth and responsive with a good amount of power. I did break my first BVK right at the ferrule from the butt section to the next when I went to come forward after my backcast had caught a tree. It seems like a fluke thing and the replacement is doing good so far.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:57 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
...When it came to casting, it felt heavy and was not as accurate as the distance stretched out... Dennis
That's exactly why I like TiCr models better. The coating on the butt section of the X series that adds to the backbone also adds to the weight and make it feel off balance to me.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:56 PM

eatapeach1965 is on a distinguished road

I'm new to saltwater flyrodding and have only used a 3 and 5 wt prior.

I now have the 9wt Lefty Kreh Sig Series from TFO. I find it to be a nice rod, med/fast and throws a shooting head Nicely. Though it took some adjusting as it was the first time I ever used a line like that.
Caught my first stripers on it this week!! And a Fluke!!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:03 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

ANYTHING TFO with Lefty's Name or not is a quality stick that is good value for money. Got to love the warranty too.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 PM

here7ico is on a distinguished road

Hi Aespen, first check the model of the rod, TFO has several models with Lefty Kreh name:
-Signature 2pieces M/Fast
-Pro 4Pieces M/Fast
-TICR X Fast 4Pieces
-BlueWater 4Pieces, this one is an hibrid model, i understand is not a great caster but have a good lifting power.

For the price you mentionend i assume that is the TiCr X or the BlueWater.
I have cast the TiCr X, is fast and with more power compared to my old TFO Pro Series (both in 10wt). I really liked it.
Personally in 10Wt I opt for the Echo Edge instead of the TiCr X, not so rigid but more accurate (personal opinion). I know the Tarpon 12wt is a diferent game.
TFO makes good Rods at great price, if i need a 12wt the TiCr X is my first choice for 250$.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:10 PM
joseph28

Click the image to open in full size.Good job!