The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 11:30 PM

flats4life is on a distinguished road
Default Slatwater fly fishing websites..??

looking for good websites with saltwater fly fishing gear at good prices. Any ideas??
Old 05-30-2012, 03:15 PM

matt o is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Slatwater fly fishing websites..??

Not a online store or place to buy gear, but this site has really impressed me. I picked up their tarponology issue and was impressed. Site has tons of great info for tying SW patterns
Old 05-30-2012, 04:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that you're going to find 'discount' saltwater FF gear on any one site in particular. The sport is a little too specialized for that.
I find a lot of the things that I'm looking for at Bear's Den Fly Fishing Co. and I know that the World Wide Sportsman, Islamorada, (Bass-Pro) is a major saltwater outfitter as well
robbf213 likes this.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:00 AM

gibbsey is on a distinguished road

I live 15 minutes Bears Den and they are great! Tons of stuff and a lot of saltwater knowledge. They ship all over the world. Talk to Scott the owner he'll get you whatever you need
Old 06-01-2012, 10:18 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Although I've purchased very little from them, as I need very little at this point, check out Saltwater Flies! SALTWATERFLIES.COM -- The finest in saltwater fly fishing.

I use this site more as a resource for fly patterns, but they also sell many useful items.

I agree with Rip Tide, it's hard to find a single source. Depends on your criteria, if that may be price, or quality or perhaps both.

I've found it's best to just search around if I need something specific, particularly if I'm looking for a better price. I'll browse Ebay quite a bit too.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 PM

mort is on a distinguished road

redtruckflyfishing.com
Old 07-28-2012, 04:14 AM

sobotkg is on a distinguished road

I haven't found any great ones, but I am in the PNW.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 PM

Bonefishdick is on a distinguished road

The best advise I can give you is find the best local shop you can in your area and give them your business, I am very fortunate to have a great local shop (Bears Den) close to me and that's were I go. You give them your business and in due time they will take care if you.

If you are looking for bargains it is not hard to find them if you want to go through a lot of work. Example , pick something like Bargain Saltwater flies and watch what pops up for sites and then you can shop to your hearts content.

Don't be surprised sometimes when your bargain arrives that you get what you pay for. Sometimes you also do very well. For terminal tackle I think you will find most sites that are supposed to be bargain sites are all selling at retail, just the same as your local shop. I always liked the idea of going to the shop and selecting what I wanted and went home with something that I would not be disappointed with.

The local shop can offer a lot more than products, you get their knowledge and you will find things on your own when browsing around that peak your curiosity , and you will get to meet other people who can also be a great source of ideas and information.

One of the things I like about my local shop is on Wednesday Nights they have a fishing night and they go to different places all the time. All you have to do is show up at the shop at 6pm and the group leaves from there and goes fishing. Great way to meet people and learn some things.