The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 AM

hawkeyeflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Help!!!

Well my father in law sold some of his land, and is planning on taking us all to Cancun Mexico August 13th-19th, and I figure I am going to have to try and fly fish! I haven't ever even seen the ocean (much less even been on a plane) so I am going to need all the help I can get, as far as what kind of fish I should expect to catch, what kind of fly rod/reel/line/clothing to wear!! oh man I am getting anxiety already, so much to plan for and not much time! I am hoping some type of Elkhorn rod and reel will work because they aren't terribly expensive and from what I have read are top notch quality. Keep in mind that I am most likely going to sell the rod and reel after my trip, but maybe not if I can find some other practical use for them, seeing as I will most likely not be fishing that type of water much if ever again. any help will be greatly appreciated!

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

I don't have a vice unfortunately it was lost by my little brother, so I may be in the market for a quality used vice, I work at Bass Pro and get a small discount on some White River products, can anybody recommend some type of fly tying material so that I can start on my "need list" : )
Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!!!

An 8 weight rig will take care of your mangrove/inshore fishing. There are always baby tarpon and snook and some bonefish around. It can serve as a bass rod when you are back home (just switch the line).

If I was on a budget, here is how I would rig up.
TFO TiCRx 9 foot 8 weight
Lamson Konic 3.5
Rio Mainstream Saltwater WF9F

As for clothing, get some highly breathable clothing with some sort of UPF rating. That sun will beat down on you. Try to cover yourself from head to toe. Also pack a light rain jacket. Sometimes light rains happen.

You should have tarpon flies that sort of look like this Campeche Special.

Click the image to open in full size.

You should have bonefish flies that sort of look like this Crazy Charlie.

Click the image to open in full size.

Dennis

Edit: If you are going to chase some adult tarpon offshore, you will need at least an 11 weight.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:11 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

The previous post will get you started very well. You'll need some tapered saltwater leaders too. Something about 8' will work fine for most species, and no lighter than about 15-16lb test on the tippet end. 20 lb tippet might even be a better choice.This is primarily for abrasion resistance. For baby Tarpon you might want a 50-60lb shock tippet, again for abrasion. Get a couple of Bonefish leaders of about 9-10 ft, and a 10-12 lb tippet, but frankly with them I'm going to guess you'll have enough issue just with getting the chance to cast to one.

Since this is your first adventure into saltwater, and particularly Mexico, for other flies add some Deceivers in 2/0 & 3/0 sizes, some 2/0 Barracuda flies, chartreuse works well, and some larger pencil poppers in 2/0. For colors, most can be basic white, with whatever other colors you like, and will work for Snook, Jacks (Crevalle) and small Tarpon. The Barracuda flies should be obvious what they're used for, and get a pack of knottable wire leader too. Jacks & Snook will hit the poppers too.

Remember that salt species move around. Unlike trout or bass they're not in the same places all the time & there's going to be a lot of water. If, or when you find some fish, hopefully you'll be rigged properly, but chances are you won't. Just goes with the territory. Salt species move fast too, so if you have a Bonefish fly tied on & happen upon a Snook, by the time you attempt to change flies, it will likely be gone. You've got to pick your fight and stick with it.

Hopefully, you'll have a great time regardless & perhaps even learn something new!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:12 PM

Oh man haha I have a lot to learn! I am what most people would call a novice fly fisherman around here (central Iowa) even, I am still using the Cabelas fish eagle II my father gave me when I was only 12-13. I have been looking into Elkhorn rods for around here though haha. But I am a quick study, and have access to a computer at work so you can bet I will be gleaning all helpful tips and advice that I can.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:41 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

If you can scratch up $200 the Cabelas RLS combos are a great deal, although there is no replacement program for breakage (as I did with mine). I have the RLS combo in a 9' 6wt. The reel has been through lots of carp and large trout by now and operates very well/drag is very smooth.

The TFO combo listed above would run you ~$400-450 I think, it would be a sweet setup.

I just got a TFO signature series 6wt also, that I use with the RLS reel and a Lamson konic 2.0. This setup is pretty silky, very nice light weight for the money. That combo would be around $250 depending on line choice.

I know these are lighter weight than what you are looking for, but I think the rods are very well made for the money and cast great, both are available as heavyweights.

In my opinion, It is tough finding a very capable setup for under $200. I have a very inexpensive off brand 10wt combo that cost $100, but it just does not cast nicely, feels bulky. it is possible though... I don't have any top end gear. There are some good mid-level options though if you do some searching and check out the clearances. Of course, getting to actually cast a rod at a shop will be a better experience, but it is a trade off between cost and service sometimes.

You'll have to excuse me though, I am assuming that you are younger and on a budget. If not, hook yourself up with a nice sage/ross setup and you'll probably be set for life.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:02 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

If this is a one-shot deal; as far as your fly fishing goes, then I would rent the equipment that you need when you get to Cancun. Save yourself the money; don't buy unless you find that you really like salt water fly fishing.

Check in with Yellow Dog Flyfishing Adventures; they run day charter fly fishing trips out of Cancun and most of the other holiday stops on the way down to Tulum. Here's a link that may be useful to you:

Fly Fishing Trips and Vacations | Fishing Vacations | Yucatan Fly Fishing Lodge | Mexico Fly Fishing Lodge | Yucatan Fly Fishing Trips | Mexico Fly Fishing Trips | Yucatan Fishing | Mexico Fishing | Yucatan Flats Fishing | Mexico Flats Fishing | Fly

If they offer you a choice of fish to chase, pick Bonefish; pound for pound, one of the best fighting fish there is, and one not to be missed if you have the chance to fish for them.

Pocono
Old 06-06-2012, 11:00 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Help!!!

You just got the best advice from Pocono. Save your money and use the guides equipment for the best experience. They know the waters and fish and already have the equipment to match what your going for.
And by all means bring whatever rod you gave and some kind of saltwater fly assortment so you can try the beach on your own. Many times going to a new place I'll use a guide but by talking to a few locals and doing some exploring I can usually get something going on my own. Did that in your neck of the woods (Iowa) when my brother played hockey there. And it worked out well!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-07-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
You'll have to excuse me though, I am assuming that you are younger and on a budget. If not, hook yourself up with a nice sage/ross setup and you'll probably be set for life.
You would be correct! My wife and I got married October 1st 2011 we will be 24 this year so we don't have an expendable budget by any means, but at the same time there are plenty of carp and bass around here that I could go after that would warrant a 9wt