The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 08:11 PM

ratkins92 is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Fishing in Galveston, TX

I am just getting ion fly fishing and don't know really anything at all. I want to go down to Galveston to fly fish. Where are the best spots to hit where i can wade out? Also what should i use as bait? Any other info you can give me about this would also help.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2012, 03:01 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fly Fishing in Galveston, TX

Take I-45 south to Galveston till you hit Sea Wall, then left (east). Proceed east till this ends and you will see a large salt water lake called "the Lagoon" on your right.

It isn't surf or bay with moslty hard-ish bottom. Though it does have quite a bit of what "Capt Mickie" on the 610 AM morning fishing report calls "Anuhuac Mud". Kind of a mixture of peanut butter and dog manure (Yahoo, sound like fun!!). When it gets thick stay by the grass for traction.

Often there is fair to good Red & Flounder fishing with the ocasional trout tossed in. I suggest slow sinking bright streamers or floating poppers in the #4-1/0 range. Any color as long as it has chartruse in/on it. I don't much care for Clousers here as they sink right to the bottom and become snarled in weeds. I try to keep my flies next to the salt grass. Think "sparse" when the wind whips up.

Slide your feet religiously or get Ray Gards as when there are gamefish there are stingrays. Neoprene boots that won't pull of in muck are a must. Wear long pants (too darn hot to wear waders now) as also when there are gamfish there are jellyfish, light nylon pants will protect you form these. Keep an eye out in the salt grass as there is always a possiblity of rattlesnakes.

Not trying to spook you but you need to be aware of the hazards. These apply to [B]ALLB]Texas coastal waters. Fun when you are prepared, bad news when you aren't.

4th July week/weekend there are always a lot of people. So get there just before first light and leave before 09:30 as it gets hot. SUNSCREEN, sunburns will ruin a trip.

I use a 8wt but at times use a 7wt, there seems to always be 15-20mph wind. 9wt will work but really will give you a work out as this is all blind casting.

You want wind as when calm the mosquitos can be very thick. No need for light leaders as the water will be off color so 15# is cool. 7' long; 4' - 50#, 1.5' 25#, 1.5' 15# tippet. Flouro works but sinks fast, not fun with poppers; mine are all mono.

Carry a net as flounders got a mouthfull of prehistoric teeth and darn hard to handle being flat. Use net for trout as they are easy to kill/injure with rough handling.

Pete A.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Pete provided a great explanation of why I prefer to fish closer to Port Aransas.

I get to fish clear water, with a 7wt, in shorts, on hard sand, with plenty of fish to throw at.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:44 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Cliff;

Got other spots but don't post all on the internet. Just an easy spot for a first timer to find and fish. Bet a buck he does fine.

Crowds exist in your beloved Mid coast region for sure. Port A. ought to be a blast on the 4th. Been around Light House Lakes area when I though I was back on Southwest Frwy. Lots of shallow running boats burning the flats mid and south coast right now.

Seems theres even a fly/kayak/pole (Pole Paddle Wade) group trying to segregate some very large part of the bay system of the coast because of this issue. This is a very hotly contentious issue on the Mid/lower coast right now. Kinda like Este Flats. Nothing like getting buzzed at 40mph by a shallow runner while wading. Not what I would call secluded.

I thought all the fly guru's prayed at the POC alter anyway, not you? We mostly fish between Pt Lavaca & Freeport. Far less internet coverage but lots of fish.

As far as sting rays and jellyfish are concerned while attending A&I in 80's had a naval aviator (at NAS Kingsville) friend get popped by a stingray along Pt A. causeway wade fishing. I've been stung (before my long pants only decision) by those swimming jellyfish near Pass Cavallo; felt like a backberry bush whacking my leg. No more shorts for me while wade fishing on the coast anywhere!

Hazards exist regardless of where on the coast.

Cheers,

Pete A.

PS.: this the minimum attire I allow my sons to wear in Texas salt water anywhere (not a fly pic) IMHO the only respondsible way to dress:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I typically avoid fishing during holiday weekends for the exact reasons you describe. I fish more around Aransas versus POC because I don't own a powerboat, and they're more necessary around POC.

I'm quite familiar with the WPP issue, as I personally know both their leader and their most vocal foe. I might fish with Tosh next month. Calling it hotly contested is no exaggeration at all. I lean towards the WPP side, but their opposition has raised some valid issues as well.

I've been brushed by jellys before, but never in water that's less than knee deep. I focus on shallow flats with tailing fish, so calf deep is the norm for me. If I'm going to wade deep water with my plugger buddies, I'll wear pants.

Regarding rays, I'm never without these on my feet-

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:44 PM

I'd like to see 5 trout limits instead of exclusions areas. Whose tax dollars will pay for the extra wardens needed to enforce exclusion areas for an elite few? Most of these areas you can't reach from the bank anyway so it is of no benifit to non-boaters. It ain't about conservation but about exclusion!

We wade when ever possible year round and get there buy kayak, popwer boat or drive in. If I limited my fly casting to visible fish only I'd seldom catch flounder or trout . We also cut our red catch by 95%+. Plenty of fish are there that are not seen (kind of like fishing in freshwater for trout with a nymph or streamer). Gin clear water does not insure fish.

Largest trout I've been witness to with a fly rod was in coffee colored water in East Gaveston bay with a #4 popper, 5 3/4# 26". I'd trade trout for anyday. I like reds but love trout.

Pete A.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratkins92 View Post
I am just getting ion fly fishing and don't know really anything at all. I want to go down to Galveston to fly fish. Where are the best spots to hit where i can wade out? Also what should i use as bait? Any other info you can give me about this would also help.

Thanks
If you are just learning fly fishing you may be biting off a big chunk at Galveston to start. I enjoy fishing the Aransas Pass - Rockport area best but live closer to Galveston. I enjoy fishing an area east of Houston called Anahuac. Go to Anahuac park south of town and drive past boat ramps through a open gate to the end of the paved road. Many acres of water to wade on the west side of road. Sea Trout, Red fish and Flounder. Beware this is the Gator capitol of Texas! I never see them in area listed above(to salty) but if you try to go into marshes in area of boat ramp then you will see gators. If tide is out you would mostly likely find red fish and flounder. With tide in all of the above are available. Fairly hard bottom.

If you are not locked into Galveston, and can afford a guide I recommend Capt. Dean Thomas, Slowride Guide Service in Aransas Pass. Just tell him you want to catch a red fish on fly and don't know how. He will take care of you. He will wade or take you out on kayak and then wading. Another choice is Capt. Scott Null in the Galveston area. Have not fished with him but he has a great reputation. You can google and get contact info for both of them.

Excellent advise from others on safety. I always wear long pants, long sleeve shirt, hat, buff, fishing gloves, and sunglasses. The sun in the summer is brutal. Do not pick up your feet while wading, only slide your feet slowly along the bottom as you wade. Stingrays will get you if you step on them. If a ray hits you go straight to the hospital and get treated. Do not delay. Also suggest it's best to not have any open sores exposed to the water.

Good luck and let us know how you did.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete a View Post
I'd like to see 5 trout limits instead of exclusions areas. Whose tax dollars will pay for the extra wardens needed to enforce exclusion areas for an elite few? Most of these areas you can't reach from the bank anyway so it is of no benifit to non-boaters. It ain't about conservation but about exclusion!
Oy, sounds like you've bought into the idea that guys in $900 kayaks are elite while those in $20K powerboats aren't. I find that baffling.

WPP's primary motivation is preventing fish herding and protecting seagrass which is vital fish habitat.

In the end, I trust TPWD to do what they see is best for the resource, given what funding they have to work with. I'd bet the status quo stays in place because they won't be able to afford the costs of enforcing NMZs.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:12 PM

The conservation concern is a ruse!

It is simply that a small number of very rich well connected (in Austin) flats boat owners that want west of ICW from NAS CC to just north of Baffin Bay to themselves. Thats a lot of bay. If they could they'd put up high fences across the rivers in the Hill Country like they do all over South Texas and Hill Country to impede big game travel. Just look at those fences on your way to POC. Can't get western shore access as it's all King Ranch starting just south of causeway (ie, private property).

Same group is moving on the Lower Laguna Madre behind the scenes. It's all about exclusion.

Remember Texas open waters laws? Open for all!

VAST majority of boaters are respectful and conscientious people who avoid other fisherman and don't "herd" fish. Pass laws that outlaw that unethical practice and increase minimum "no-wake" distances from others. Simple? That only excludes slobs.

Not simply grab huge tracts of our bay system for a very rich elite few.

Reduce trout limit to 5 with a tag system for over 27" like redfish, give golden croakers gamefish status (ie, can't be used as bait) and you will see huge increases in trout populations. Most of the Baffin Bay monster trout you see on 2Coolfishing are on croakers!

Respectfully,

Pete A.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Man, I'm telling you I know these guys and you're incorrect about their intentions. You've described a conspiracy theory popularized by a guy who also calls me a "secular marxist", despite the fact that I work in sales and play drums at a church every week.

I think your ideas on fixing the problems would also help, but they would require additional resources to enforce. Due to the state's current budget issues, I bet somewhere between very little and nothing gets done.