The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM

bks is on a distinguished road
Default Orange Beach AL area, guides? Fish?

We are planning a trip to the Orange Beach area next March. Any ideas for a fly fishing guide in that area. Any sugestions on what to fish for? I just want to catch something bigger than a bass or bluegill..

Thanks for any suggestions
Old 06-28-2012, 07:24 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Orange Beach AL area, guides? Fish?

I'll be there in June next year ( hopefully ). I plan to just fish the surf early int he morning and then hit up the bay on the back side of Fort Morgan/Orange Beach in the afternoon. Should be plenty of pompano and sea trout. Im hoping I can find a redfish or two. Also at night/evening there are many catfish to be caught in the surf, maybe a shark or two as well.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-28-2012, 10:47 AM

bks is on a distinguished road

Thanks, We went a year ago or so and caught a lot of catfish from the pier but that wont work for flyrods of course.

I saw a few on internet and they charge like 500 a day for 2 ppl everything furnished which is great deal but just dont know anything about them.

May have to watch for some deals on ebay and here for a heavier rods than what I have right now.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:42 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I would imagine a 8 would be just fine for most of what you'd find down there. I'll probably take my 8 and 11wt down. I kinda really want to hook up with a shark in the surf but we'll see how that goes.

The pier traditionally fishes well, I havent been down to it in so long though I cant recall if you could walk the beach up alone side of it and fish in the surf from there, that wouldnt be a bad deal.

the bay on the back side of Fort Morgan Rd was very promising the last time we were there. Saw lots of fish swimming around and we were catching blue crab which we ended up not cooking anyway. I plan to hit that side alittle harder if I can.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-01-2012, 11:56 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

I don't know of many fly guides down there. Close to that area is a guy named, Yano Serra that does some fly guiding. I spent a few summers down there doing research while in grad school (on Dauphin Island, AL) and inshore has the typical specks, reds, black drum, sheepshead, triple tail, flounder, etc. While you can go offshore for dolphin, king mackerel, etc.

I mainly fished inshore and didn't fly fish then. Bobby Abruscato is a guide I used on the island that was all kinds of good, but only used spinning tackle. Google "A Team fishing" and you will find him.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur