The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MoscaPescador

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 09:17 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Myrtle Beach???

Am heading to Myrtle Beach with my family for a week, starting the 21st of July. Last year I waded the Hobcaw Barony, and it was just a very expensive nature walk/wade. Can anybody lend some advice on that area?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:14 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Myrtle Beach???

Watch out for Bull Sharks?
milt spawn likes this.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:36 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Okay. Good advice.....I was hoping on something more specific on where and what to fish for. I really do not want to end up dunking shrimp off a pier.....I've been looking into guides, but am reluctant to foot the cost of a guide all by myself.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Old 07-21-2012, 06:53 PM

I have booked with Capt. Mike McDonald (Gurl-R-Boy Charters) out of Georgetown, NC, for Tarpon. Hope all goes well.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:13 AM

sobotkg is on a distinguished road

I used to go there on vacation when I lived on the East coast. Its a really nice place.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:16 AM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road

Great, But wre would be a good place to fly fish at myrtle beach. I'm heading there to in sept. Are there any back bays to fly fish , or is the beach ok. From the beach i guese a sinking line set up for blues?: new to saltwater fly fishing. confused:
Old 07-30-2012, 02:55 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1 View Post
Great, But wre would be a good place to fly fish at myrtle beach. I'm heading there to in sept. Are there any back bays to fly fish , or is the beach ok. From the beach i guese a sinking line set up for blues?: new to saltwater fly fishing. confused:
You can have shots at some really big fish at the Cherry Grove Inlet as shown in the video below.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 AM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road

WOW' thats great. I know i'll be fly fishing. But i'm not going metal detecting in the surf.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Just watched that video, not a bad red stolen by quite a shark! Going on to try to catch the shark may have lacked a little fore-thought, however...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-29-2012, 10:07 PM

livelli is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,
I just joined up here and live in Myrtle Beach. I wish I could offer guidance on fishing here but so far my experience is just in freshwater for largemouth. I'm getting into fly fishing for reds soon, but all I know is what I've heard; the best time is high tide. I imagine that's about as universal as "look both ways before crossing the road." I hope you did well, Homer. Any pictures? Advice? Hunter, the best place I can suggest for fishing would be down in Murrell's Inlet. There is a public boat landing near the Hot Fish Club on old Hwy 17. Between it and the jetties there is a good sized flat that floods during high tide. I've been out there and gotten nibbles with casting gear, but I think I was using 3/0 hooks (and the tide was low).