The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 12:56 PM

cdaxj is on a distinguished road
Default Quick opinion - BVK or Sage Xi2

I've just come across a decent price on a Sage Xi2, and though I've been saving for a BVK, I'm a bit tempted. I've never cast one and only read a few decent reviews on them. It's a used rod.

What would you do? Wait on the BVK, or go with the Xi2?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Quick opinion - BVK or Sage Xi2

I have no idea what Sages warranty policy is on used rods, but if it comes with a warranty, I would definitely put it in the running.

If you do decided to buy it, and decide you don't like it, I doubt you would have much trouble selling it. The BVK will always be there...
Old 07-18-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I have no idea what Sages warranty policy is on used rods, but if it comes with a warranty, I would definitely put it in the running.

If you do decided to buy it, and decide you don't like it, I doubt you would have much trouble selling it. The BVK will always be there...
Sage's site uses, "The lifetime, original owner warranty" language, but doesn't say anything specifically about whether or not the warranty is transferable, except to refer to the warranty as an original owner warranty. That being said, their warranty submission instructions say nothing about submitting a receipt, so I'm not sure it'd matter either way.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

Oh and I should point out, it's a "demo" rod, does not come with a tube and he's asking $150.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:27 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

If Sage is anything like TFO, you don't need a receipt, but you do need to be the registered owner.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I think the point of the original owner verbiage is that the warranty's not transferable. Sage would likely repair it for a fee, but the fee and shipping could easily be over $80 or more.

On the rods themselves- if you want stout, pick the Xi2. If you want light and snappy, pick the BVK.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:12 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
If Sage is anything like TFO, you don't need a receipt, but you do need to be the registered owner.
They're not...
Old 07-18-2012, 09:25 PM

Location: Afghanistan/North Central Florida/AC, Belize for 2 mo/yr
fishindave is on a distinguished road

I think the main question would be, what wt are you requiring? 8 wt and above, BVK all the way. You can cast these all day and never get fatigued. 7 wt and below the sage would be the way to go. I see your in FL. Would this be for the salt then?

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 07-18-2012, 10:11 PM

Actually, I think I'll just do both

I currently have an entry level St Croix rod in 8wt and my plan was to get the BVK in 6wt to ad to my quiver. The Xi2 I found is an 8wt, so Ive decided to get the Xi2 and still keep saving for the BVK in 6. So I'll have to wait a bit longer to add the 6 wt, but I will enjoy the best of both worlds.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishindave View Post
I think the main question would be, what wt are you requiring? 8 wt and above, BVK all the way. You can cast these all day and never get fatigued. 7 wt and below the sage would be the way to go. I see your in FL. Would this be for the salt then?
Exclusively.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

That's the spirit!!
Old 07-28-2012, 04:21 AM

sobotkg is on a distinguished road

I love TFO for pretty much everything. But I dont have a lot of $ and that factors into it. I do know the BVK is amazing for pretty much every use.