The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 10:45 PM

ckalanik is on a distinguished road
Default Stripped Bass Flies

Hey guys(and girls),
I got a striper outfit for x-mass so I want to learn how to tie some good flies for it. The most common fly around here(maryland) is the Jiggy Head. I tried to tie one but it didnt work out. anyone know of any videos or step by step instruction for this fly?
Thanx
Old 12-27-2007, 06:56 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Stripped Bass Flies

check out ASWF.org, its the site bobby popivics hangs out on..what are you doing to tie it..do you pack the cone head with lead before tieing??
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-27-2007, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The tutorial on that site looks to be a good one.

If you want an epoxy free fly, you could always just tie Clouser's instead of jiggies. I like using the hour-glass brass eyes when I want them to sink quickly.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:34 PM

ckalanik is on a distinguished road

Yeah i think im gonna go with the clouser patterns. Thanx guys
Old 12-28-2007, 05:36 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

the reason Bob came out with the jiggy is to imitate a real jig..A clouser tied right will swim straight not up and down..if they are using a jiggy there is a reason..most likely to work the rock piles, and oyster beds in the bay..clousers should be balanced to swim not jig up and down..I have tied with both clouser and popivics, and this is how they are tied..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-28-2007, 05:46 PM

wlschindler is on a distinguished road

I believe the best fly for stripped bass, largemouth, smallmouth and just about anything else with fins is the Clouser Minnow. It slays them! Check out this site Tying Flies with Bob Clouser , a video of old Bob tying it himself! I like #1 or #2 circle hooks with this pattern.

I have also developed a variant which combines a fly I found in a trout book called the Mylar Micky Finn (google it) which gives it a minnow body and the Clouser. I just add the mylar body to the topside of the hook with the eyes (Clousers swim upside down (hook facing upward).

Good luck and hold on, your going to have a ball.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:23 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I fish for stripers alot and my number 1 go to fly is a 3" to 4" all white bucktail clouser with some krystal flash and large bead chain eyes usually a size4 or a size 2 sometimes bigger. The clouser will catch alot of fish about 90% of the time you will run into situations when you need top water or something that rides high in the water column. Topwater i would recommend a snake fly, and a deceiver or just a bucktail streamer for fish that are chasing bait on top. I use fairly small flys compared to some but they are much easier to cast on an 8wt or a 9wt, some of the big bunker and herring patterns you need a 10wt or bigger to cast. I hope this helps some I am in De and fish the Cheasapeake and DE bay and the entire eastern shore, great area for rockfish.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

While a "jiggie" may have more jig-like action than a Clouser, I'm gonna have to call BS on the "A clouser tied right will swim straight not up and down" comment. Bob Clouser also was trying to imitate a jig when he invented the Clouser minnow, and properly tied, it does so fairly well.

Tying a Clouser with too much bucktail will keep it from moving up and down properly, but there's a very simple solution to that. In normal sizes, no more than 20 strands of bucktail should be used for a clouser.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:52 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I have to agree with sandfly i don't know if its proper to put a link here if not just edit it out but the wieght was add to make the hook ride point up instead of down not to mimick a jig. Clouser Flyfishing - Home of the original Clouser Minnow
Old 12-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

From that page-
Quote:
"...it mimics the action of a baitfish constantly darting to escape a predator."

Bob Clouser
That doesn't sound like swimming straight to me, but to each his own.