The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 01:57 PM

cdaxj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Saltwater rod question

I fish the salt with a 7wt and an 8wt. The vast majority of people in westcoast central Florida (ie Tampa Bay) I believe use 9wts. Its known around here as the all-around or general purpose rod. The only time I'd ever go 11 or 12 is if I was going offshore or chasing tarpon. But I have a friend who I fish with weekly who uses a 6wt which he landed a 34" snook on last summer. I tend to think the smaller weight rods can handle more than most of us think they can.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:22 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaxj View Post
I fish the salt with a 7wt and an 8wt. The vast majority of people in westcoast central Florida (ie Tampa Bay) I believe use 9wts. Its known around here as the all-around or general purpose rod. The only time I'd ever go 11 or 12 is if I was going offshore or chasing tarpon. But I have a friend who I fish with weekly who uses a 6wt which he landed a 34" snook on last summer. I tend to think the smaller weight rods can handle more than most of us think they can.
They absolutely can. The problem I have with lighter rods is they don't handle larger flies and wind as well as a heavier WT rod. I have no doubt I could land a 30lb Striper on a 6WT, if I could reach it
Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

From the rods I've owned, it seems that there is a bigger jump in power between 9's and 10's than between 8's and 9's. There also is not much difference between 11's and 12's with Sage and Sintrex either, when it comes to casting. What little difference there is seems to be in the butt. That's why I think so many guys go either even or odd numbers on their rod selections at least until - at least for a while .

However, Swirl would know a lot more about the 8,9,10 range as he is an excellent caster fishing in as difficult a situation as you'll find almost anywhere.