The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 11:21 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough
Default Saltwater rod question

Ok i have decided since i am moving ack to Scotland and will be spending alot of time around the coast in Scotland and the Med i want to take up saltwater fly fishing and will have more money to spend on vacations ( fishing destinations ) i am looking to buy a new rod and reel i am torn between the Sage Xi3 and the Sage One ( i want to target anything possible and will be wading an using a kayak for deeper fishing or possibly hiring a guide in some locations).

I know the Sage Xi3 is made for saltwater and i was thinking a 11wt or a 12 wt would be a good general purpose rod

The sage One in a 11wt ( if i can get one )on the other hand is alot better technology wise and lighter but dosent seem up to the job incase i hook into a nice tarpon/Tuna

I also want to use the rod at my house in Spain to try for the monster carp and catfish in the river Ebro.

I have test cast them both and like them both but i am unsure which is the best for my needs my colleges keep telling my to just get a trout rod and are not much help as they are devout trout fishermen lol

I also hope to pick up a Sage blank to build my own rod to my style later on next year as my second rod that wont be used as much.

Was thinking of putting on a Sage 6012 for 11/12 lines ( always liked having extra backing )

any advise or suggestions would be awsome as i am a complete noob to Saltwater fly fishing

Many thanks
Vincent
Old 07-29-2012, 01:18 AM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Saltwater rod question

11/12wt for a first saltwater fly rod? Sounds pretty heavy, even for "monster" carp and catfish that will be another target with this stick. I've got a 9' 9wt, I've fished inshore salt with it and it did fine.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:30 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Vincent, while I have yet to hook into a tarpon on the fly myself, 12wts are the suggested size for them, but many adept tarpon fishermen will use 11wts and even 10wts for the spookier fish, even in the 100+ lb range. I don't see you suffering greatly if you have an 11wt instead of a 12wt for the tarpon and tuna, though I don't have any experience with the Sage One with regard to how it compares to other 11wts with regard to fighting strength (heck, I don't even know if they make them that big). I don't know how big the carp are in the Ebro but I have heard stories of the giant catfish. With the carp, you may have to worry about a very delicate presentation, so with the 11wt you may have to go with a longer leader for these situations. I haven't caught any enormous carp, but I use an 8wt for large carp and have not had any problems.

Personally, I don't think you need a dedicated saltwater rod if you like the One more, it's just a matter of cleaning the rod off with freshwater after you use it. I use much of the same gear for lake-run rainbows in the Great Lakes as I do for snook and redfish in the Gulf. However, if you like the way the Xi3 performs over the One, take the Xi3. Remember that casting with rods as big as an 11wt can get very tiring, so the lighter rod may be worth its weight in gold at the end of the day, but not if you're not confident in its backbone. I spent a number of days this summer throwing hundreds of casts with a 12wt at tarpon. At the end of a day like that, you realize you're not flipping a 3wt at trout.

For the fish you mentioned (tuna, tarpon, big cats and carp) the 11wt should be an alright balance. However, for a lot of other saltwater fish, you may feel that the 11wt is a bit too big. In the Gulf off Florida, I often use a 6wt for the seatrout and ladyfish, an 8 or 9wt for snook and redfish, and a 10wt if I'm dealing with higher winds, throwing heavier sinking lines, or planning on going offshore. The 12wt only comes out if tarpon are the quarry. SO I guess the moral of the story is figure out what you will most likely be spending the most time chasing, as given the broad range of saltwater species, it may be difficult to find a rod that stretches across all the saltwater fishing you want to be doing. As an all-around rod for saltwater, an 11wt sounds big to me, but that may be the norm for where you are fishing. Hopefully someone who knows better than me will be able to better answer your question!

And your trout-fishing colleagues are missing out, I love trout fishing but the salt is great too!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-29-2012, 10:59 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I m no expert here and only get to fish the salt a couple times a year. Even an 11wt sounds heavy to me except for some kind of sight fishing unless you are much younger and stronger than the average. You should size the rod to the conditions and fly size. A 9wt will handle sizeable flies and some wind. I have a stiff butted 7wt that I would have no fear chasing 30 to 40 lb fish. The only exception that I would make to this statement would be if you are going after really large strong fish. I personally do not like to blind cast anything over a 7wt. and prefer lighter. To each his own though. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:18 PM

redleg155 is on a distinguished road

Great discussion. I've fished with an 8wt for fish over 30 lbs. Unless it's bluewater, I think the most important quality of a rod / angler combination is the ability to cast tight loops and put the fly where it needs to be.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:59 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I'll agree with the previous posts. I use a 10wt most of the time and that is only because I'm fishing the ocean side and fighting 10-20mph winds most of the time. 11-12wt rods are normally not used in casting situations, they're typically used on a boat. Casting an 11 or 12 from the beach all day will cost you a rotator cuff...
Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 PM

golfnfish will become famous soon enough

I have to agree with the posters above about blind casting with an 11 or 12wt rod. 9wt is my go to rod on the flats when the wind is up and 8wt when it's breezy but not strong wind. I use a 10 wt for mid sized tarpon and have never felt outgunned but then I'm not targeting 100lb fish and up.

JMO and experience. You need to decide for yourself what kind of fishing you will be doing and what wt is appropriate.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:25 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

Thank you so much i think i will go for a 9wt or a 10wt and build a bluewater rod as it will be a few years till i can afford to try for some bluefin an hopefully a marlin
i also have my 7wt i usually use i can use but will just need to give it a better wash than normal. I got myself into the habit of washing all my gear off after each trip.
vincent
Old 07-31-2012, 09:42 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Every year I run into guys from Great Britain who come across the pond each spring to fish for striped bass at Cape Cod.
The sea bass that they target over there are very much like our stripers... only smaller.
A 9wt might be as heavy as you'd want to go and an 8wt might be more appropriate.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:18 PM

Thanks I origionally had the intention of going for a 9wt, then thought a 12 wt for big game then a 11wt/10wt now i am back at a 9wt and have decided Since i am not a huge hurry to fish the rod as i am stuck working and saving i thought i may aswell have a rod thats perfect to me. So after alot of thought the last few days i think i will build it myself and have it how i want . i will be building it on a Sage Xi3 Blank

I hope to build a few other saltwater rods in various weights what other weights would you recomend ? I hope to head Tarpon Permit and bonefishing in a few years and i want to aim to fish for Tuna, Marlin and Sailfish at somepoint.

Will be building a trout rod or two before my Saltwater 9wt Xi3

Many thanks
Vincent