The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Best reel (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/292931-best-reel.html)

wilky 08-02-2012 04:35 PM

Best reel

Hi

I am looking for a new reel with sealed and reliable drag
i was thinking of a Lamson Velocity 4 or a Lamson Guru 4 i like the reel to be larger to allow for more backing ( better to have more than less) dont want to spend more than $275 ( i get a discount through my work )

Any suggestions
Vincent

kayo 08-02-2012 09:35 PM

Re: Best reel

Galvan reels ;)

pete a 08-03-2012 08:39 AM

I have TFO large arbor, Lamson Konics, Guru and Bauer MX4. All are great reels. Like most I've fondled or fished next to most of the others. IMHO if you stay with the top 6-8 "named" reels you will be satisfied.

In case you find a reel you love but it can't hold the capacity you want I suggest you consider braid (flyshops call this 'gel spun" rest of ALL fishing shops call it braid) over 20 or 30# dacron. For these I choose 50# PowerPro braid, far thinner than 20# dacron. heck if one steps down to 30# or even 20# braid the capacity increases hugely.

Knots are different as it doesn't stretch at all. Plus the smaller diameter requires more care on the flyline to backing connection. But braid is bullet proof.

Most non-fly shops have large/huge selections of braids; colors, sizes, brands..... Where as most better fly shops typically only have one brand of dacron in 2 sizes.

Pete A.

chuck s 08-05-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilky (Post 475043)
Hi

I am looking for a new reel with sealed and reliable drag
i was thinking of a Lamson Velocity 4 or a Lamson Guru 4 i like the reel to be larger to allow for more backing ( better to have more than less) dont want to spend more than $275 ( i get a discount through my work )

Any suggestions
Vincent

The Bauer mentioned above isn't a sealed drag which brings me to question why you wanted it sealed? The top reels, the Tibors, Abels, Bauers and some such as the Old Florida reels were unsealed, and of a cork against teflon or other slick material design. These reels account for most of the Salt Water Records and rate veery high when reels are tested.

mrfzx 08-07-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck s (Post 475573)
The Bauer mentioned above isn't a sealed drag which brings me to question why you wanted it sealed? The top reels, the Tibors, Abels, Bauers and some such as the Old Florida reels were unsealed, and of a cork against teflon or other slick material design. These reels account for most of the Salt Water Records and rate veery high when reels are tested.

I agree here. I LOVE Islanders, and they are not sealed, but don't let us change your mind. I think either of the Lamsons will serve you well....though neither is truely a "sealed" drag.

You didn't ask us what we thought of sealed drags, only which we thought was best. One of my worst sporting goods store memories was going in to purchase my first deer rifle, and the guy behind the counter basically told me I didn't want what I wanted. Luckily, I was with my father and maternal grandfather who very quickly told the salesperson what to do with his opinions.

sweetandsalt 08-08-2012 09:37 AM

There are a few very fine sealed drag salt water reels but Hatch, Nautilus NV, Tibor Signature and Hardy Fortuna X cost significantly more than the poster hopes to spend. However, I agree with the above posts that point out that Abel, Tibor and Islander reels are beloved by salts for good reason; their performance is beyond reproach and they are easily user maintainable.

I like to point out that we lost a Space Shuttle once due to a faulty (very costly) "O" ring...a sealed drag that fails is done, a draw-bar reel that becomes contaminated gets taken apart, rinsed out, put back together and is back in service right away. I do not intend to denigrate in any way the above high quality and innovative sealed drag reels and I have fished several of them with great results. Beware though of large sized trout reels being marketed as salt water reels, rarely is the design transferable.

wilky 08-08-2012 12:03 PM

Thanks for the input and advice.
Ok what reel do you suggest budget is $350 ish can go $400 on Hardy,Galvan Lamson ( as i get a discount from work)
I want a reel that will last want be affected if it gets dunked and dropped in the surf.
I ideally want it to hold a 9 wt line and 200+ yds of backing

Or would you recommend saving for a while longer and getting a Tibor etc

I am new to Saltwater Fly fishing

Vincent

chuck s 08-09-2012 03:45 PM

I've turned to Ebay quite often on reels and the Bauers are currently the best value. You'd get more than enough reel for the money you are talking and perhaps even pick up an Abel such as I managed a few weeks back for just $250 for a Super 7 in great shape. Tibors hold there value the best it seems but these might fit in your budget at times, especially during the winter months when bidding slows on fly reels and prices drop. I picked up a Tibor Evergladeds a year or so back for just under $300 including shipping. Just make sure the seller has a high number of transactions and a good rating. Besides Bauer reels, the Old Florida reels when they appear usually go for a bargin price and they are a rock solid Tibor, style drage system, reel. Islanders are also another that you can find at superb prices now and then.

wilky 08-09-2012 06:30 PM

thanks i will check out ebay,
I can get a brand new Galvan T-10 for around $350 after tax with my work discount with a free line and backing . I know they are fairly popular but i havent used one always been out of my price range ( always made do with cheaper reels)

chased 08-10-2012 03:39 AM

Browsing ebay can save you lots of cash. Even with your discount through work (cabelas?) you can still pick up a new in box reel off ebay for cheaper in most cases.