The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 07:50 PM

mickm80 is on a distinguished road
Default Mismatched Rod and reel for surf fishing

Hi,
I'm pretty new to fly fishing. I have been fly fishing rivers and lakes with a 5wt for the past three months now and love fly fishing. I was trying to get set up for fly fishing in the surf or from a kayak around the Southern California area.
I just bought a Orvis 8Wt Helios rod and a Hardy Zane reel. I ordered a no. 1 (8wt) Hardy reel, but they shipped me a no. 2 (10wt) reel by mistake. I'm anxious to start fishing in the surf and was thinking of just using the 10wt reel. Is is bad to use a 10wt reel with an 8wt rod with a 300 sinking grain line?
Hardy Zane reel no 1 is 9.24 oz, 3.75 diameter
Hardy Zane reel no 2 is 9.74 oz, 4.0 diameter
Seems like there isn't much difference to me.

Thanks for any input anybody can provide.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mismatched Rod and reel for surf fishing

Welcome to the forum. I am new to Saltwater fly fishing to but i have always used a larger reel than my rod weight for lake/river fishing generaly use a 6/7 weight rod with a 8/9 reel (i like the weight and extra backing) for my salt set up i am getting a 9wt Sage One with a 10/11 wt reel i like the extra weight but its a personal choice.
just a note the Hardy Zane reels are discontinued and being sold off so if i were you i would look at buying a spare spool or 2 before they are all gone and hard to come by.

Vincent