The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best bang for the buck.

A combo consisting of a TFO BVK rod, a Lamson Konic reel, and SA's Mastery Textured Magnum line would be a great combo. Going with a 9wt instead of an 8 would handle larger fish better, but will be a bit more tiring to cast all day.

Their bonefish line might work better for 90' casts, but the MTM will both load the rod and shoot quicker and that's more helpful when casting to cruising fish.

Standard 20lb backing will be fine, as your leader should be slightly lighter than that.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:50 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Cork drag.....they work very well and are easy to maintain with minimal maintenance. I believe until recently, all of the high quality saltwater reels used cork. Some of the real expensive reels still use it.

Backing....Gel spun is much thinner than dacron in the same # rating hence the reel will hold many more yards. Because it is so thin it is more likely to cut. I believe that most gel spun users are using 50# to help reduce the cutting problem but will still increase the amount of backing about twice. Not sure of the exact amount. Both materials will last a long time if kept out of UV light. I am not really up on backing costs but I believe that it will cost you about 4 or 5 X the price of dacron but there will more of it on your reel so you can get by with a smaller reel. The smaller the reel dia. the more cranks it takes to get the line back on the reel.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:27 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I'm going to have to second what Cliff said. It's hard to beat the BVK/Konic combo, I like the Rio Outbound line myself but I'm sure either would work fine for you. And I'd also go 9 instead of an 8, just as easy to cast for me but you are open to more fly/fish diversity. I use 50lb power pro on all my reels but regular backing will work fine too. If you can hold out and save an extra c-note or so you can get one of the awesome deals on the recently discontinued Abel reels on ebay. for example on ebay you can get the BVK for $220, an Abel Super 11(same thing I use on my 9-10wt rods) for $410(have to look hard but there are a few left at that price), the line will run you the same in store as ebay about $80, and $25 for 300yds of 50lb PowerPro. So for about $735 you can have a pretty nice combo that will handle lots of different situations and will be easy to cast all day, I know because this is one of the ten combo's in my arsenal, and probably my second favorite to fish next to my Scott S4 9wt/Super 11.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 AM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

Colton makes incredible highly rated rods. Had a chance to cast one and it is a very high quality rod, gonna pick up a 7 wt soon

If not Colton then try a TFO BVK or stick with the Orvis Clearwater.

The reel I would look used high end or just buy a new Konic or Colton reel. The owner of Colton will talk to you on the phone if you call, he is one hell of a fisherman with a broad knowledge base. The Colton reels are really nice.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 PM

navycop10 is on a distinguished road

The biggest reason for the step up from an 8 to a 9 is the short casts or the fight of the fish? Is is common place for a good fly shop to let you try the rods before you buy? I would expect this of a high dollar purchase. But the reel seems to fall behind the rod and the line in level of importance. Which makes sense in fly as opposed to bait/spin casting.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I hope to let you know soon what I come out of the store with.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiniwerfishin View Post
Abel Super 11(same thing I use on my 9-10wt rods) for $410
Are Abel reels worth the extra over an Orvis or Allen?

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
SA's Mastery Textured Magnum line would be a great combo. Going with a 9wt instead of an 8 would handle larger fish better, but will be a bit more tiring to cast all day.
Are you saying to over wt the rod by one, or go to a whole 9 wt set up? I have heard that one upping the wt of line over the rod helps with short casts, especially with long leaders.

Greg H.
CEC, FMP, SLBT, Lc. P.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” ― Abraham Lincoln

“The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are the constitutional rights secure.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 08-18-2012, 12:25 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by navycop10 View Post
The biggest reason for the step up from an 8 to a 9 is the short casts or the fight of the fish?
Jumping up a rod size can be for many reasons.
  1. Larger fish. In most cases, heavier rated rods will have more backbone compared to their lighter counterparts.
  2. Conditions. A heavier rated rod will cast better in the wind.
  3. Payload. What are you throwing? Heavy heads or standard weighted lines? Heavy or light flies? Puffy or sparsely tied flies?

Quote:
Is is common place for a good fly shop to let you try the rods before you buy?
Most shops will let people test cast rods in their parking lots. Some shops have demo rods.

Quote:
Are Abel reels worth the extra over an Orvis or Allen?
Yes. Watch the video.

Quote:
Are you saying to over wt the rod by one, or go to a whole 9 wt set up? I have heard that one upping the wt of line over the rod helps with short casts, especially with long leaders.
Cliff can answer that.

Dennis
Old 08-18-2012, 01:46 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiniwerfishin View Post
I'm going to have to second what Cliff said. It's hard to beat the BVK/Konic combo, I like the Rio Outbound line myself but I'm sure either would work fine for you. And I'd also go 9 instead of an 8, just as easy to cast for me but you are open to more fly/fish diversity. I use 50lb power pro on all my reels but regular backing will work fine too. If you can hold out and save an extra c-note or so you can get one of the awesome deals on the recently discontinued Abel reels on ebay. for example on ebay you can get the BVK for $220, an Abel Super 11(same thing I use on my 9-10wt rods) for $410(have to look hard but there are a few left at that price), the line will run you the same in store as ebay about $80, and $25 for 300yds of 50lb PowerPro. So for about $735 you can have a pretty nice combo that will handle lots of different situations and will be easy to cast all day, I know because this is one of the ten combo's in my arsenal, and probably my second favorite to fish next to my Scott S4 9wt/Super 11.
I agree here on the BVK/Konic, but I think for the money the Ross CLA 4 or 5 is worth the money in salt. At the 4 I've heard they upped the ante on the drag system, and it is a fully machined reel...

I have personally never had a problem with my cast Konic having gouging issues, but the guys at my local shop have seen some that could seriously harm a good line, and I'm all for taking care of my line. Not sure how much I would trust the Konic to last in the salt... FWIW, the drag, as I understand it, is fully sealed only when totally snapped on the reel, I.e. would be exposed to salt/sand if you changed spools (but I rarely do that in salt)

Mastery textured series lines are awesome, but I hear really good things about the new Orvis Hydros Saltwater All-Rounder, and may try one out on my 8 as I'm in the market for a new line for my Xi2.

I have a mastery textured saltwater line matched to my BVK 7wt, and have had zero issues with the rod loading in close. I use heavy lines on my Xi2 and XP (Magnum, GPX, etc.) as they both need it for short casts
Old 08-18-2012, 10:34 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Have you thought long and hard about the fishing you will probably do the most?

I ask this as I know my own comments are biased by my own experience. I wade and stay in the water from first light until 11ish most days. Difficult to bring a extra rod along. We will make many many casts in a day. When we see tailing fish, we sight cast, when not we cast where we feel the fish are. Some call this "blind" casting but "focused effort" is the way I describe it. We catch more in "focused effort" than sight casting. Lots of great fish to catch are not seen before caught.

Thus my biased choice is based on lots and lots of casts, ie lighter rods and secondly versatility. When you are 1/2 mile of wading back to car or boat you have to be prepared for more changes than when fishing with a guide.

So for this I use a 8wt BVK with a decent reel, 9wt's just wear me out after this much casting. IMHO way too much time is focused on the reel. So many good ones in the $200ish range that will do a fine job. With the 8wt you can handle fairly large flies with enough backbone for most fish. But again I'm biased by my method/experience.

However if you will fish from a boat or a guided trip you can bring just about as many rods as you want. For this I'd bring a nice 7wt, 2 8's, 1 - 10wt, maybe a fast 6wt.............

My point is buy a fly rod for a purpose or fishing method rather a a "one size fit all". Jump in grab one and have fun. If you hate the rod, reel, line of your first choice we have a great classified section. Might even patrol that for some great deals.

Pete A.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:06 PM

navycop10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalker1013 View Post
Konic having gouging issues, but the guys at my local shop have seen some that could seriously harm a good line, a
I have heard a similar issue with the new Orvis Helios. Many have lost fish because the line gets caught, or bad bird's nesting. Is there anything that can be done about this, different technique or is it the design?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete a View Post
fish from a boat or a guided trip you can bring just about as many rods as you want. For this I'd bring a nice 7wt, 2 8's, 1 - 10wt, maybe a fast 6wt.............

My point is buy a fly rod for a purpose or fishing method rather a a "one size fit all". Jump in grab one and have fun. If you hate the rod, reel, line of your first choice we have a great classified section. Might even patrol that for some great deals.
I will be fishing from a boat, as I bought a flats skiff a couple of months ago. And because of this it would make sense to get some for each condition I might face. I am used to bait casting, so a variety of lures and only a couple of rods would cover just about everything. But you are saying to get the next rod on my list, and work until I have the whole list checked off, so that I have an arsenal so to speak. Can't have to many, right?

Greg H.
CEC, FMP, SLBT, Lc. P.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” ― Abraham Lincoln

“The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are the constitutional rights secure.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 08-18-2012, 10:33 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
I have heard a similar issue with the new Orvis Helios. Many have lost fish because the line gets caught, or bad bird's nesting. Is there anything that can be done about this, different technique or is it the design?
There's no such thing as an Orvis Helios reel, so what exactly do you mean?