The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 10:38 PM

navycop10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best bang for the buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
There's no such thing as an Orvis Helios reel, so what exactly do you mean?
I meant Hydros. Not Helios. My bad.

Greg H.
CEC, FMP, SLBT, Lc. P.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” ― Abraham Lincoln

“The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are the constitutional rights secure.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 08-18-2012, 11:10 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by navycop10 View Post
I meant Hydros. Not Helios. My bad.
I've had no issues with my Hydros III reel on my 5wt 8'6" 9.5 Tip Flex Hydros rod. Clearly that's not a saltwater rig, but where do you get that Hydros reels have problems?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
where do you get that Hydros reels have problems
I have read several online reviews. Many from the Orvis website. Many people have said that there line will get caught and will not feed out when the fish run, leader snaps and they lose the fish. I was all set to buy that reel, until I decided to research it.

Greg H.
CEC, FMP, SLBT, Lc. P.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” ― Abraham Lincoln

“The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are the constitutional rights secure.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 08-19-2012, 03:52 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
I have read several online reviews. Many from the Orvis website. Many people have said that there line will get caught and will not feed out when the fish run, leader snaps and they lose the fish. I was all set to buy that reel, until I decided to research it.
That's interesting, out of 45 reviews on the Orvis site I only found two that reference the issue you mention, and 42 of 45 reveiwers recommend the reel. I haven't been able to find any other references online, but if you don't have confidence in the reel then you should look elsewhere.

You could try checking out what Sierratradingpost has for sale--you can't go wrong with the Bauer MX series in the salt.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
if you don't have confidence in the reel then you should look elsewhere.
I need an almost idiot proof reel, and it seems that there is something about that design that you have to pay close attention to the line coming out of the reel, on top of all the other tasks at hand when a fish is on. I don't recall where the other reviews were, as there were a couple on the Orvis dealer's sites I looked at.

Quote:
Clearly that's not a saltwater rig
Am I missing something about saltwater vs freshwater? Or were you referring to the 5wt size? Are there certain criteria for handling the harsh salt water?

Greg H.
CEC, FMP, SLBT, Lc. P.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Am I missing something about saltwater vs freshwater? Or were you referring to the 5wt size? Are there certain criteria for handling the harsh salt water?
Yeah, I was referring to the 5wt, mostly because I would struggle to cast big saltwater flies with it. Hydros reels can handle salt water just fine.

The salt is tough on gear, though. A thorough rinsing with freshwater after use should be a habit.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

For rods being specific--the Sage RPLX can still be had from Ebay and goes for around $200. I prefered the 889 but the 890 will do and with it use a nine weight line as it's rocket stiff. Another and likely my favorite is the Winston BL5 as it's got plenty of butt for power and a softer tip for getting off a fast cast when Tarpon, Boness or Redfish are spotted. These go from between $200 and up to $300. For reels as I indicated above, I love cork, Beauers are among the lighter cork drag reels and reasonable priced but I have and have had Tibors, Abels, Old Florida and the Bauers I mentioned above. I prefer Rio over Mastery but both can't be faulted much. Be sure and get a cold water line such as a Striper line if you are fishing cold waters as many of the warm water lines for bonefish, tarpon and reds are way too stiff when in cold air and water.

Good luck with your purchases.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/