The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By woodrivertroutbum
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By woodrivertroutbum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 03:40 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice
Default Finally!

I have always been in to saltwater fishing, pretty hard core to if I may say so myself. I used to freedive (I stopped doing that because I am strictly catch and release except for tuna and the ocassional mako) and shooting tog got old pretty quick because I didn't want to shoot stripers. Surf casting and skishing was my thing, every waking moment I was out and about chasing these beautiful striped fish. Well, this year I decided to take a break and I was fine for a while until I decided to take a ride down to south county. That is what put me over the edge, that is when I realized that a part of me was truly missing.

I finally picked up a new old stock Echo 2 and it is paired with a gold cup reel for now. Going to have my shop order me another Guru this week or next. I finally feel like I am whole again and that is the truth. Went out to just try the rod on saturday and it was great just to be out on the rocks once again. Last night I went out to a favorite breachway is SoCo and got my first fly caught salt water fish. Just some snapper blues but hey, it is enough to keep me up at night deciding where to hit next! The snappers pushed bait back and forth for over 3 hours. The area was LOADED with what looked to be bay anchovies. I am just glad I am ready for the fall run and those other pelagic fish that will be showing up soon.

I think I will grab a 10wt as well this week or next!
Hardyreels, Rip Tide and Editor like this.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:12 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally!

Our club's saltwater beginner's class always goes to Quonnie breachway for their final lesson. Just have them wade out into the pond toward the channel and it's hard not to catch a fish there.
If I lived as close as you, I'd be at East Beach/Fireman's/Nappatree every day
Editor likes this.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:28 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

I wish I could be there every day. Westerly is an hour from me.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:56 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I hear you man, in a way I'm almost dreading going back home to the coast. I'll be there with the peanuts, blues and bass, and skippies and boneheads and even schoolie bluefin will be showing up around that time. Then I'd have to leave it all over again for flippin Ohio!!! Makes me feel like Icarus!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
I wish I could be there every day. Westerly is an hour from me.
I wasn't aware that there was a Hope RI, I was thinking Hope Valley
You are close to the bay though. When I was driving my son to his school next to the airport, I'd put my kayak in at Apponaug nearly every day.
Lots of bluefish action this time of year out in front of Chepiwanoxet point and Goddard Park
Old 08-22-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I hear you man, in a way I'm almost dreading going back home to the coast. I'll be there with the peanuts, blues and bass, and skippies and boneheads and even schoolie bluefin will be showing up around that time. Then I'd have to leave it all over again for flippin Ohio!!! Makes me feel like Icarus!!!
Ouch! There are some Schoolie bluefin near the fairway buoy already. I can't wait for the albies to show up!

RT, yea I am on the western Cranston and Scituate line. I wish I was in hope valley! Now that my striper fishing will be done with a fly rod, I need to fish the bay more. Wickford looks like it MUST get action. Few spots around the cove I would like to try out.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:40 PM

Went out last Saturday and manage my first fly caught striper! Also got a fluke, and a bunch of snapper blues later in the day. Not big, but I love knowing there are little guys around!

Click the image to open in full size.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice, congrats!

Old 08-29-2012, 01:08 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Good work! It's always a good feeling to break your duck on a species.

A fun day fishing is hard to beat.