The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Guest1
  • 3 Post By theboz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 12:14 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Get Ready It's Starting Early

As most years I try to spend the month of August in New York fishing all the waters surrounding Long Island. Every year is different but generally there is plenty of bait around and fluke and bluefish are caught with regularity with some weakfish and stripers thrown in for good measure.
One thing is certain that this fall the run is gonna start early. Whenever I see bait like I've been seeing the past few weeks the action starts early. Three weeks ago I had pods of peanut bunker being busted by fluke. I've seen huge schools one after the other of small spearing being busted close to shore in the sound by the thousands. And yesterday working a spot on the south shore there were schools of killifish that extended for 50 ft and were so thick it looked like one huge fish totally obscuring any view of the bottom. Wading through them was like wading in a fish hatchery pond . Amazing!
And over the years whenever this happens where this much bait shows up this early the fall run is not far behind. I can't speak for the rest of the Atlantic Coast but if your looking to get your big bass , albie, bonito bluefish or fall tiderunner in the NY area don't wait to long it's gonna start early mark my words! I'll be there!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-24-2012, 01:37 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Get Ready It's Starting Early

I need to win the lotto. I used to fish Bluefish a lot many years ago. They may be the most fun fish you can catch pound for pound. Till you get a finger to close to the wrong end of one anyway.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:53 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Dan forget the lottery. Get yourself down here I'll get you plenty of chances to lose that finger! You'll catch blues till your arms ache. Got plenty of room your welcome any time. And if you get tired of choppers by me we can visit Swirlchaser catch blues and you can toss his 4oz jig flys with your 17 fter. Gotta love it!
mcnerney, Guest1 and swirlchaser like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-24-2012, 08:44 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
. I used to fish Bluefish a lot many years ago. They may be the most fun fish you can catch pound for pound.
..... there's these rocks..... not much more than a long cast down river from the Nautulis and across from the Coast Guard Academy ....

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

I've noticed in recent years that massive amounts of bait don't necessary lead to a good fall season. I don't see the huge blitzes that I use to and bonito and albies are rare. Last year there was a good recruitment class for stripers but that was like one out of the last 10, and that's not good.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:52 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
..... bonito and albies are rare...
I got reports on them yesterday, spent halve the night tying Anchovies for a trip on Sunday morning. They're still out on the reef but hopefully they come in to the beach within the next few weeks.