The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 01:27 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Saltwater question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
I have used a fly very similar to the Grasset Minnow.

Bead chain eyes
white maraboo tail
pearl estaz body

EZ tie and it also works well for lady fish. I fished it right along the surf line/sand at dawn. I fished at Navare which is just west of Destin. Tie several in different sizes or take your fly tying stuff with you. You may need to match the hatch so to speak. Have fun
I tied a few of those for the gulf next spring. hopefully I have some luck.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-19-2012, 10:36 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I have never fished dock lights for snook but I bet they will work well there too.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:59 PM

jml43 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the advice. Trip was great. I had a blast. Caught flounder and some ladyfish and one good size needlefish. have to say best two baits where the marabou tail and estaz body with bead chain eyes in white and a gummy minnow. I did see one real big red just could not get him to hit anything.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Good to hear that the trip was successful, too bad you couldn't entice the bull as well! Theres always next time, I'm still looking for a big red...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-20-2012, 12:06 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I am proud that I could help with the estaz/maraboo fly. Glad it worked for you. It had worked for me when I was in the area.