The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Saltwater question (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/294896-saltwater-question.html)

jml43 08-26-2012 06:49 AM

Saltwater question

I will be going to Destin Fl for two weeks in October. I have done some research and talked to some of the local baitshops about what to use. I was wondering if anybody here had any ideas to add. I will be fishing form the surf. I tie all my flies so I was wondering if I need to add anything. I have clouser's in yellow and white, Chart. and white and Chart. and pink. Decivers in the same colors. I have some seaducers, surf candy, gotcha, couple of bendbacks, a couple of shirmp patterns, poppers, and a sand flea pattern. The people at Orvis told me I could catch Reds, Pompano, Ladyfish, and some other species. Just wondering if any of you guys have any ideas to add. I have never fished the gulf before, usually just the surf of North and South Carolina.

bigjim5589 08-26-2012 08:56 AM

Re: Saltwater question

Never been to that area, but have fished tidal water my whole life. You'll likely be fine with what you have, and sounds like you've covered it well.

You might want to add some darker colors for your Clousers, Deceivers & Seaducers, as you never know how conditions might change during your time there.

Don't know if this relates or not, but I used to tie a lot of Tarpon flies for guides down there in FL, and was told that what was regularly used in the Gulf, was not the same as was used in places like the Keys, as there was a difference in water clarity.

I've experienced enough days that dark patterns out fished bright. Even if you only add a few all black or black with some other color, or some with brown, olive or purple grizzly in them. Perhaps some Cockroach patterns. Then you'll have something else to try if the bright colors don't seem to interest them.

gatortransplant 08-26-2012 09:20 AM

Also tie up some small (4 and 6) white minnow patterns like Grassett's snook minnow, as snook will likely be found cruising the beaches.

ditz 08-26-2012 10:54 AM

I have used a fly very similar to the Grasset Minnow.

Bead chain eyes
white maraboo tail
pearl estaz body

EZ tie and it also works well for lady fish. I fished it right along the surf line/sand at dawn. I fished at Navare which is just west of Destin. Tie several in different sizes or take your fly tying stuff with you. You may need to match the hatch so to speak. Have fun:frogdance

Rip Tide 08-26-2012 11:13 AM

.... that's called a "marabou estaz fly" around here ... imagine that !

linky-linky
:frogdance

gatortransplant 08-26-2012 12:46 PM

Now what would have led them to that name? Hahaha. It's a successful fly, especially under dock lights at night. Once you get a snook chasing it, you basically can't strip it fast enough.

jml43 08-26-2012 08:48 PM

thanks for the info guys. I tied most of them on size 2,4, and 6. will tie some of the minnow patterns. Hope it works, if not at least i am not at work.

ditz 08-27-2012 02:27 PM

Rip Tide.....and all this time I thought it was an original tie;);)...I do tie it on a normal shank length hook (because that is what I have) and I don't do the epoxy head but it is essentually the same. I have never tried it on that big of a hook but I guess I will now. I use it in sweet water too. I have also always tied it as a sinker with bead chain or lead eyes. I have used mono eyes in sweet water with little or no current. ....I tried it on the ML last winter on speckled trout with marginal success. My craft fur shrimp worked well however. I luv that salt. I just gotta move down.:cool:

Rip Tide 08-27-2012 04:48 PM

.. it's a pretty good match for both bay anchovies and the little peanuts and it's my go-to fly for false albacore.
Plus, it doesn't hurt that it only takes a minute to tie one :D

Bonefishdick 09-18-2012 11:07 AM

Sounds to me very much Like Norm Zeiglers "Schminnow", The only difference is bead chain eyes instead of Plastic Eyes.

We have used them up hear for a long time for Striped Bass and tied them with different color Estaz with white marabou or matching color marabou and made them weighted with a brass cone head which were easier to tie than bead chain eyes and also tied them unweighted. WE called them "The Marabou Madness".

Funny how in geographical areas people have had the basic idea of this fly. Lends a little credence to the saying "Great Minds Think Alike"

I am also going to Destin in October, I think I may be arriving about the time you will be leaving. I am arriving on the 13th for a week and then driving to New Orleans for the following week. I have never been to either place before but I am looking forward to it also, if you learn anything good that might be of help a PM would be greatly welcome. Good luck on your trip