The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 09:06 AM

HELLFIGHTER5308 is on a distinguished road
Default Surf fishing for Whiting

I saw an article in the Florida Times Union in reference to Whiting. Has anyone had any success with whiting on a fly? If so, any reommendations such as line type and flies? I have an 8 Wt. with floating line. Will that be ok or should I use a sinking line?

Thanks, Kenny
Old 01-01-2008, 03:43 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Surf fishing for Whiting

In jersey we would use a jetty bug imatation, just cast into the wash...make sure you stay back or you spook them. somtimes we had to stand 40 foot up on the sand and lay our line on the sand..floating is fine,
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-06-2008, 06:00 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Kenny,

try any sand flea patterns for permit. if you have a clear sinking tip that will work best, if not use split shot to keep your fly near the bottom. you might be able to find some patterns that are weighted. If you tie your own I will be more than happy to give you my sand flea pattern that I use down here for whiting, permit and pompano in the surf.

#2 mustad 3407dt or equivelent

pink or yellow flat waxed nylon thread

pink flashabou or pink crystal flash

medium pearl dumbell eyes

white or very light brown chenille

Debard hook place in vice and sharpen (this is just a suggestion). start your thread about 1/4 of the way behind the eye.
Tie in eyes and cement down, start wrapping thread towards bend of the hook. tie in a sparse amount of flash material, working back toward the eye. then take your chenille and start it about the same place as the flash. wrap chenille forward to eyes and beyond, stop just behind eye. proceed to wrap the chenille back to the bend and back to the eye of the hook. cinch down end of chenille with thread, tie off and apply head cement. thats it your done.

Simplest fly I know that works well in the surf. I will see if I have a pictire of one and will post, if not I will tie one up real quick and then post.

Hope this helps
Old 01-06-2008, 07:09 PM

Kenny,

here are 2 that work well

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

you might want to find patterns close to this. or I can send you a half dozen or so of these
Old 01-06-2008, 07:54 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Very nice ties TB i have a similar sand flea pattern but with craft fur insted of chenile it works really well around the new and full moon. the sand fleas shed then and i think the whiting really key on the soft ones. When i see sand flea shells floating or in the wash it really works well. I have caught flounder trout and stripers on them. The chenile seems to add alot of flash would work well in the Delaware surf.
Jim
Old 02-05-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
Very nice ties TB i have a similar sand flea pattern but with craft fur insted of chenile it works really well around the new and full moon. the sand fleas shed then and i think the whiting really key on the soft ones. When i see sand flea shells floating or in the wash it really works well. I have caught flounder trout and stripers on them. The chenile seems to add alot of flash would work well in the Delaware surf.
Jim
Jim,

didnt think to use craft fur, i will have to give it a go.

the area where Kenny is fishing is near the St. Johns River area, and the out flow around the inlet is fairly stained, I believe.

easy to tie, give it a go.