The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By swirlchaser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 02:46 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default First time in saltwater, line question.

I'm covered for floating line

Cabelas has the SA mastery series intermediate striper line on sale in both a slower and a faster sink rate. Which should I get for Rockypoint, (puerta Penasco) Mexico.

It's basic surf fishing but it seems a bit calmer that other places I have seen.

The slow rate is 1.25 to 1.75 IPS

The fast rate is 3.75 to 6.50

I wish I could get both, but not this month.

Which would be more useful?
Old 09-01-2012, 01:31 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time in saltwater, line question.

For me it would depend on two factors:
1. The surf conditions
2. Your quary

I use an intermediate or sinking line if fish are deeper than 15-20'. From the surf your rarely casting into waters that deep. The second reason is if the surf is rough or the tide and rips are too strong for me to keep a floating line where I want it. If your fishing in calm waters or a back bay from the surf the floating line should be all you need. If your set on buying one of the two lines I would go with the faster sink rate line.
I think a 1.25-1.75IPS line is useless. You can get that sort of depth with a Clouser and 15' leader on a floating line.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:29 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Thank you. That is what I was think.

I do already have a floating line, and a class III sink tip. I've been reading a lot and it seems that if it's rough any floating line will just get drug around by the waves, so I might want a full sink.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:51 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Stay away from full sink lines. Getting them back to the surface to cast them just isn't worth the pain. I owned one, I hated it so much that i cut the running line off and made it a shooting head. Those waves that everyone complains about are your friends, they tell you where the fish are. Waves roll in towards shore and break when they get to a sandbar. If you see waves breaking that means the water is deeper right behind the break. That's where the predators hide. Don't avoid surf conditions, read them and you'll find fish. If you can cast a floating line behind breaking waves you'll be fine.
woodrivertroutbum and theboz like this.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:59 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use a full sink line in the surf when conditions call for it and that would be when the wind is up into the 20 knot range.
Other than that I fish a floating line.
For me it's important to be able to make a quick pick-up and mend over a breaker or dead drift a fly right in the trough. Things you can't do with any sinking line
I this picture I'm high sticking the long shore current just like you'd fish a nymph

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I noticed you mention Mexico. If that striper line is intended for cold water, it may not perform well in hot tropical temperatures.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.