The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default New rod, New season. So far it looks good :)

I managed to get my hands on a 10wt BVK on Tuesday and had to get a line wet. The surf seems to be heating up as temps drop, plenty of bait in the water and a few small Blue Fish kept me busy this morning.
The rod is absolutey amazing. I've heard plenty of buzz about it but I was affraid it might be a retread of one of their existing blanks. I can assure you it isn't. It's not as fast as my TiCr and it casts a Rio Outbound short line with almost no effort. Granted there was very little wind this morning but it consistantly casted the entire line all morning.
The morning was just as amazing, light wind, outgoing tide, plenty of bait and the first comers to the fall run are here. Small, angry Blue fish tore up the bait and my flies all morning. Gear up gentlemen, the big ones and the Stripers should be here soon

Heading South
Click the image to open in full size.

Some sunrise eye candy

1st of the morning

Smile

Love catching them on yellow eyed clousers, seems fitting

Made it home after a productive maiden voyage
Old 09-12-2012, 11:34 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New rod, New season. So far it looks good :)

Dang wish you hadn't posted this! Just bought a Lamson 9/10 reel. Might have to get a new rod (not that I really need one) . I guess thanks for helping me spend my money . Haha!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 AM

fivefingers is on a distinguished road

Great job! Do you know if your BVK is the 2012 or 2011? I was looking into an 8 wt BVK but was told by my local shop that there were reports from buyers of the 2012 breaking when hooking into larger fish.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:46 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Dang wish you hadn't posted this! Just bought a Lamson 9/10 reel. Might have to get a new rod (not that I really need one) . I guess thanks for helping me spend my money . Haha!
John, rods don't impress me much anymore but this one did. I may have to swap out all my TiCrs

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefingers View Post
Great job! Do you know if your BVK is the 2012 or 2011? I was looking into an 8 wt BVK but was told by my local shop that there were reports from buyers of the 2012 breaking when hooking into larger fish.
Thanks
I have no idea, how do you tell? I'll probably break it no matter what year it is!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm at the beach right now waiting for some tide. If you say they impress you good enough for me. When I head back I'll swing by Cabelas on the way to WV. New reel and now new rod , spoiling myself lately. Haha!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I'm at the beach right now waiting for some tide. If you say they impress you good enough for me. When I head back I'll swing by Cabelas on the way to WV. New reel and now new rod , spoiling myself lately. Haha!
You fishing LI? Things are really heating up out there.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:09 PM

Just got off the beach a minute ago. Huge school of albies just out of reach (even for gear guys). 5 lb yellow eyes till your arms hurt. Got them on non weighted streamers and they all thought they were mini tarpon with 3 jumps per fish minimum. Gonna hit the am tide in the dark see if I can wakeup a linesider. Your right it is coming on fast Marco and I'm almost afraid to leave. Promised my son I'd meet him at his school in West Virginia next week but am afraid to leave. He's been hammering SMs, Walleye(Big Ones) and tons of White Bass. The only way I can stay is if I convince him to come to the island. Tough decision. Maybe I'll head to your beaches and meet him halfway!
Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Just got off the beach a minute ago. Huge school of albies just out of reach (even for gear guys). 5 lb yellow eyes till your arms hurt. Got them on non weighted streamers and they all thought they were mini tarpon with 3 jumps per fish minimum. Gonna hit the am tide in the dark see if I can wakeup a linesider. Your right it is coming on fast Marco and I'm almost afraid to leave. Promised my son I'd meet him at his school in West Virginia next week but am afraid to leave. He's been hammering SMs, Walleye(Big Ones) and tons of White Bass. The only way I can stay is if I convince him to come to the island. Tough decision. Maybe I'll head to your beaches and meet him halfway!
No worries, if it's as good as last fall we will be fishing into January . How's your son doing at the marina?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:17 PM

Good he loves it! Free bass boat whenever he's off and s lake full of fish . I'm jealous!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Good he loves it! Free bass boat whenever he's off and s lake full of fish . I'm jealous!
That's great! We need to schedule a wednesday trip to LI then we can plan how to get to WV with a couple of 7WTs and some poppers.