The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 03:01 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: saltwater kayak angler thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockatouche View Post
ditz, trailer is definitely the way to go.

I'm 60 and the thought horsing a kayak on top of my van would keep me off the water more often than not.

I got this cheap, cheap, and applied a little elbow grease.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...lerreel001.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...trailer007.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...lerreel003.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...ect/mon005.jpg
Nice job on the trailer!
Old 09-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This is a good thread Robert!

And of course all of you are making it great with your posts. I agree, you did a splendid job of bringing the trailer back, nice work.

We were just talking about getting sea kayaks for fishing and general recreation use at places like Whittier, Valdez, and Resurrection Bay. The plan is to rent and have some training next year down at Seward and then decide whether to buy and what to buy.

Great thread here,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-15-2012, 05:17 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
This is a good thread Robert!

And of course all of you are making it great with your posts. I agree, you did a splendid job of bringing the trailer back, nice work.

We were just talking about getting sea kayaks for fishing and general recreation use at places like Whittier, Valdez, and Resurrection Bay. The plan is to rent and have some training next year down at Seward and then decide whether to buy and what to buy.

Great thread here,

Ard
Ard,
Renting kayaks has gotten very popular here in the NE. Out here they rent top notch gear. The market for used Hobies is so hot that many of these places become Hobie dealers, buy them at wholesale, rent them the entire season and sell them at $600-800 below MSRP the following season. They buy a new fleet every year.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's a good idea Marco, below is a picture of what started me thinking of this again. We often talk of doing it but are also pretty busy with all the other things we're into. I believe next year is the year we take it from the bucket list and do it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-16-2012, 01:12 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

cockatouche ....looks like you did a fine job on the trailer and it is a good idea. I doubt that I will have the tools required to handle such a product while in FL. Fishing Yaks are few and far between up here. It is good to hear from another 'mature' fisherman about this issue. I am guessing that the trailer is the way to go. .... I still need to decide on yak or noe.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:35 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

No special gear for me.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:20 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

How is the widerness systems tarpon? Also had anyone hooked into a tarpon on a kayak?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:18 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

If you hook a tarpon in a kayak you're going for a ride. I hooked (and eventually landed) a good-sized tarpon a few years back in my buddy's skiff. It towed us several miles. Imagine being in a far lighter, smaller kayak.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
Also had anyone hooked into a tarpon on a kayak?
There's a guy out on Cape Cod who's pretty successful at catching blue fin tuna out of his kayak. They're larger and much faster than a tarpon and the while there's the danger of being pulled out to sea, what would be worse would be if the fish sounded and you and your kayak were pulled under.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:01 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Yeah cutting your line is a much less expensive decision on a spinning rod, but if it's a matter of life or death, I don't mind buying a new life and tying on a new fly! When the tarpon go deep when hooked, there's rarely more than 20ft of depth for them to go to in my area, so the kayak isn't going for a dive! Bluefin, that sounds like a rush!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...