The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 09:48 AM

livelli is on a distinguished road
Default Re: saltwater kayak angler thread

I met a guy at Bass Pro who said he hooked into a 300lb marlin while kayak fishing with some friends 2 miles out. He told me the fish towed him about ten miles out to sea but after about four hours of fighting it, he brought it to the boat. I asked what he did with it and his reply did kinda make me feel dumb for asking. "It's a 300lb fish, I'm almost too tired to paddle, I'm twelve miles from shore, and I'm in a kayak. It's not like I could just toss it in a five gallon bucket and bring it home." He showed me the picture and it was every bit as big as he said it was. In the photo he held it along side the kayak with one hand at it's mouth and the other almost at the caudal peduncle.

That being considered, I think I'm fine with just some inshore fishing for reds. I saw a video on YouTube where a guy was sea fishing in a yak and hauled up a very large octopus. No thanks, no thanks.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

There is a video on YouTube of A guy catching a large marlin on a yak.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:42 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good new thread glad you started it Grass. Saltwater kayaking has really come into it's own and the new yaks are loaded for bear. I tried one of the Hobie pro anglers and for once I really felt comfortable in a kayak.
Just like to mention something I saw tonite sitting on the beach after a fruitless night of casting for stripers. It was an hour after sundown and a dull colored yak was making it's way back to the beach. It was a calm and clear night and I could see the yak heading in from 100 yds out. The sound was as empty as the beach no wind no waves and the silence was awesome. Then I heard the sounds of twin engines coming out from the harbor side to my left. here comes this 20 ft Grady White with one running light heading right for the lightless yak. He must have spotted him but at the last minute cause from my view from the beach he should have hit him. The guy in the yak was real lucky and that made me think of how many times on this same beach that I've seen kayaks coming in at night with not so much as even a flashlight. Hope all you seakayakers are better prepared than these guys are. You need lights at night to stay alive out there. And that goes for skishers as well!
swirlchaser likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-22-2012, 08:47 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

does any one use one of those peddling hobies?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:11 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
The guy in the yak was real lucky and that made me think of how many times on this same beach that I've seen kayaks coming in at night with not so much as even a flashlight. Hope all you seakayakers are better prepared than these guys are. You need lights at night to stay alive out there.
The law says that if you're out after dark you need a 360* light visible from 1/2 mile... or something like that.
You can get a battery operated clamp-on light on a post, but they can get in the way when you're fly casting.
An easier solution is to make a reflector for your head lamp out of a small plastic souffle cup with a bit of tin foil to line the bottom. Tape the cup to your head lamp and then wear it pointing up, on top of your head.
I know that sounds ridiculous, but no one is going notice... it's dark.
grassonfly likes this.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:26 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
does any one use one of those peddling hobies?
That's next on my list. You really can't beat them for saltwater fishing. I get so angry when I have to put my rod down to reposition myself and my buddy just keeps fishing as he moves.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:44 AM

cockatouche will become famous soon enough

Quote:
How is the widerness systems tarpon? Also had anyone hooked into a tarpon on a kayak?
The Tarpon is a tandem that I converted to a solo. The first time out I got the seat position wrong and was plowing water. After I got the seat position right, she tracked very nicely. Like Rip said, slow, but very stable. I fished with some young bucks with faster rides and they got a little frustrated.

Thanks all for the compliments on the trailer work.

Here's a great alternative to those expensive, messy, and sometimes reliable horns.
Just pump in some air.

Click the image to open in full size.

Got this at a bike shop but, I think there is something similar at the boating stores.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:28 AM

aglohm4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How is the widerness systems tarpon? Also had anyone hooked into a tarpon on a kayak?
From the people I've spoken to about tarpon fishing from kayaks, fighting the fish is certainly doable, and can tire them out more quickly as they pull you around than from shore/boat. It's the hammerheads you've got to worry about. Some guides in Florida will still do tarpon/kayak trips, but many have stopped due to close encounters with the sharks that prey on weakened tarpon. Watching a hammerhead swim by that makes your tandem kayak seem like a bathtub toy isn't on my to-do list.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 PM

**** i dont want to lose a hand. ill just fish in the shark-less spots hahahah
Old 10-09-2012, 12:20 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
From the people I've spoken to about tarpon fishing from kayaks, fighting the fish is certainly doable, and can tire them out more quickly as they pull you around than from shore/boat.
You gotta be kidding me! That is absolute nonsense.

It took this guy, by his own admission, over 3 hours before he was able to get a decent tarpon boatside. Listen to his buddy's words as they finally get it close after over 3 hours of battling a tarpon on spinning gear. It is less than 3 MB and 2 minutes.

http://www.miterclamp.com/videos/Kayak_tarpon.wmv

Here's an article about another 3 hour battle. The fact that the guy was able to lift that fish halfway into his kayak without gloves indicates that the fish was so near dead it couldn't even wiggle. Tarpon are the slimiest fish in the ocean and hard to hold by their lower jaw even with those yellow gloves on if they have any strength left at all.

Kayak Angling for Big Fish: Tarpon by Kayak, Paddle for Your Life! 8-13-11

Neither of those fish would have taken more than half that time to land from a boat with a proper fly rod by even a first time tarpon fisherman with some good coaching.

Even with one or two other kayaks adding more drag to that of the hooked up angler's kayak, it will still take longer to land than from a boat with motor. But it can be done with at least a chance of saving the fish, assuming the other kayakers will tow the fisherman in an effort to revive it.

So, if you go tarpon fishing in salt water from a kayak, go with some other kayakers so you have a chance to shorten the fight time and revive the fish afterwards. And make sure you all have ropes for the towing. Your buddies could be in for a lot of paddling.