The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 02:41 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: saltwater kayak angler thread

alright guys i need some advice. Aside from telling me not to do it what do i need for this trip. I want to catch a shark. I have seen baby bullsharks where i fish and i want one.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:53 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Grass you answered your own question! I know that if I wanted to fish for sharks I'd just do it! Throw a wire shock on and some big gaudy fly and give it a go. You see the sharks and target them like anything else you go for. From the few I've caught or attempted to the one piece of advice I can give is about their line of sight. Imagine an large arrow on the sharks head with the point being at the sharks nose . If you throw your fly on a parallel course to the sides of the arrow leading to the point it will be in his sight range. If you throw across or in front of the point he won't see it long enough to react. I believe letting him see the fly for a longer time provokes more strikes than the fly pattern itself.
Once you hook up landing them is the next dilemma. I would do it out of the yak on a beach or extremely shallow water. Keep your hands away from the mouth by removing the hook with long hook puller like they use on the party boats . I can't stress this enough because I've seen to many careless accidents happen when guys think they can put there hands there . Even from dead ones !
Hey I hope you nail a monster ! Let us know how you make out!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-13-2012, 04:32 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

any recommendations on flies?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:11 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Try flies with big profiles. Bright colors orange and white, red and white , purple and white. Just present them in their window of vision!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:21 PM

what kind of wire? can i get away with braided stuff?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 PM

Maybe . Always used single strand never any problems.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:39 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Pick up some of the tie-able nylon-coated wire. Braided stuff will start to fray and cause you more problems.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 PM

will do. ill also give the local fly shop a call but i know what he is going to say. hes gunna tell me im off my rocker to try to do it in a kayak
Old 11-14-2012, 09:30 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

One of my best friends is a big game kayak fisherman who moved from Maine to Hawaii about 25 years ago. Accounts of his exploits published in the Hawaii Fishing News have really spurred the growth of kayak fishing over there and the Hawaiian slegh ride. He sells a DVD, which he sent me a long time ago and I'd be happy to snag a few sections off it and put the result on youtube for pirvate viewing for a limited time while if enough guys are interested.

He is not a fly fisherman, and uses a very stiff spinning rod so he can more easily direct the kayak with a fish on, and spin the craft for landing edible fish he intends to keep.

It is a time consuming process, so I'm not going to bother unless people are interested.

He does not go offshore alone, and he uses walkie talkies for communication with his fellow kayakers because they sometimes are dragged out beyond cell phone range. Many of his fishing buddies are Native Hawaiians, and when fishing with them, everything is kept. They eat everthing and waste nothing.

Personally, I agree with the natives and am glad that they are still able to continue at least a small part of their cultural heritage. When fishing with non-natives, Reg releases extra fish and those that are not high on his own list of palatable preferences. Since he cannot ice large fish down, his fishing for the day is done as soon as he lands a large fish.

Here is a picture showing one such fish kept. Both he, and his buddy who helped him get it into the Kayak, paddled an estimated 35-40 miles extra after this fish was hooked and dragged Reg into the current going bythe island chain. Reg severely damaged a muscle in his back that day paddling back because the fish screwed up his natural stroke, and was unable to kayak during his 6 months rehab. The doctor told him that the muscles used for paddling were way overdeveloped, and had to develop those that opposed them before he could safely resume kayaking.

Click the image to open in full size.

So if anyone is interested, like people who fish for amberjack, kingfish, dolphin, wahoo etc. I'll do a relatively short segment of video.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Cape cod fisherman Dave Lamoureux with his 157 lb Bluefin tuna
Quote:
Dave broke his own Bluefin record three consecutive times, catching tuna that weighed: 60lbs, 80lbs, and 157lbs. His last catch earned him the world record for the largest Tuna (of any species) ever caught unassisted from a kayak.

Lamoureux is believed to be one of the first to experience a true "Nantucket Sleigh Ride" in a kayak by riding the giant Bluefin Tuna at speeds up to 10-15 mph.
Click the image to open in full size.