The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 04:21 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: saltwater kayak angler thread

I read a story about that tuna.Very cool.. I'm sure he and Reggie would get along well.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

that marlin is huge. i hope i can do that when i go to hawaii
Old 11-14-2012, 06:18 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Grassonfly,

That's a sailfish. Pacific sails get a lot bigger than ours. Reg told me that one was the biggest one recorded in the Hawaiin chain in the three years up to when he caught it. He sent me a poor picture of another he caught and was able to release that was also huge. His biggest wahoo was 58 lbs. He catches a lot of them as well as dolphin and a couple different kinds of smaller varieties of tuna, big grey snapper, giant travalle and other fish he only knows the Hawaiian names for.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:32 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

Thats a sailfish?! i thought the dorsal fin looked unusual. By god pacific sailfish could eat ours.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:55 AM

Yes they are definitely big.

As to your shark adventure, I don't know how you would be able to manage a large fish with outriggers on. Sounds like a major problem to me.

From talking with Reg and watching him land numerous fish on his DVD, he uses a stiff rod and keeps it mostly parallel to the axis of the kayak throughout the entire fight - even close in. On one fish in particular I remember, he keeps the rod forward even though a wahoo of 30 libs or more is trying to run behind him. To fight a large fish with the rod out to the side would mean a capsize in the event of a snapped line or hook pull out.

I once put outriggers on a canoe down here with a side mounted 3 hp motor. It didn't work for me, and was also very wet, so I removed them, and just never took anyone out with me in it who didn't have a lot of canoe time already.

I would guess that you might have to sit further forward than Reg does if using a fly rod to get the kayak to spin easier when using a fly rod than if using a stiff spinning rod like he does. And also to allow the line to clear the bow without getting hung up, though if it were smooth enough and gently rounded, that may not matter so much.

Good luck.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:44 PM

trial153 is on a distinguished road

Great thread, good info.!!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 PM

gshankuf is on a distinguished road

I am new to this site but have been Kayak Fishing for about 6 years and it is so much fun and you can access so much water that I could not before in my skiff. I just started fly fishing last year out of the yak. it is a bot more challenging that is for sure but it can really be worth it. I have landed several large tarpon from the yak with spinning gear and this summer intend to target them with the Fly Rod. Scary but exciting. I have a Cobra Marauder 14'. Love my yak.
Click the image to open in full size.