The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default saltwater kayak angler thread

Its exactly whats the title says.
My setup
Ascend fs12t homemade outriggers so i can stand and fish.
Hardyreels and swirlchaser like this.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: saltwater kayak angler thread

Great idea!

I fish a Talon 12, if I'm flyroding I sit on a foam pad an throw my legs over the sides. Only stand in very calm water because I'm too lazy to use outriggers.
Milk crate and other assorted **** when I'm not fly fishing.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:38 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

it only costs around 50 bucks to build outriggers. i cant wait to get a bonefish on my kayak.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:39 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I know but if my yak becomes anymore work to get into the water I'll just buy another boat. I had a set of pontoons and I gave them away because I hated transporting them, dragging them to the beach and assembling them. Then undoing it all. They sat in my garage for two seasons before I finally decided to give them to a friend.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:36 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I prefer low hassle fishing. Last winter I tried fishing the NSB inshore area with no water craft but I found it extremely limited. I am getting older and not sure I want to be tied to the effort that is required to load a yak onto rooftop racks. This leaves me with the thought of a trailer. If I go to a trailer I would think that a Gheenoe with a motor would be more versatile because of the distances that one can attain. Oh the decisions that must be made.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:06 PM

aglohm4 is on a distinguished road

Just picked up a Malibu Two XL for fishing/recreation. Should be perfect for paddling around loaded up with gear or cruising with my lady and German Shepherd pup we just adopted. I have to agree with ditz, though - that thing is a beast to put on the roof. And when my Sentra comes at you with that yacht strapped to the roof... well... the brakes are good, I promise... Crazy as it sounds, we were about to launch in the harbor the other night, and this guy comes up flabbergasted because he has the same little car, and just bought the same kayak, but never would have believed he could tow it until he saw our engineering phenomenon.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:21 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

I like the Wilderness Tarpon Series 120-160. I have found that they are stable enough to handle Off-Shore beach launching and handle well enough to handle backwaters.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 09-15-2012, 06:55 AM

livelli is on a distinguished road

I bought my Future Beach Angler 160DLX a few years ago and I honestly can't remember what fishing was like before it. I admit, it is a pain to lug a 70lb+ boat onto the car, off of the car, to the water, then out of the water, to the car, onto the car (cue the hurt shoulder), then off the car at home. But it's definitely worth it. I have yet to fly fish from it, as I just yesterday completed my first rod/reel setup. One benefit (among many) that I see with transitioning into fly fishing from a yak is that with bass fishing I was lamenting earmarking some funds for a fishfinder. That's kinda a moot point when fishing in waters 2ft deep.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:52 AM

The fishfinder definately makes a difference unless your sight fishing. I avoided the purchase for the first 2 years but broke down and spent the money last year and I'm glad I did.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:56 PM

cockatouche will become famous soon enough

ditz, trailer is definitely the way to go.

I'm 60 and the thought horsing a kayak on top of my van would keep me off the water more often than not.

I got this cheap, cheap, and applied a little elbow grease.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...lerreel001.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...trailer007.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...lerreel003.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...ect/mon005.jpg
Hardyreels likes this.