The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 09:46 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going after the Sea Trout.

John will have to help me on this one, I assume we're talking about the New York version of a WeakFish (we have a bad habit of renaming fish up here). We don't have an over abundance of shrimp up here so the main fare for them is worms. San Juan worms, any color from pink to dark red works well. When we were kids we used to tie red rubberbands to a bare hook and catch them during Cinder worm hatches.

Last edited by swirlchaser; 09-15-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:57 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I use a shrimp very similar to yours in E. central FL but I mostly use a light tan craft fur and medium black bead chain eyes. I use fingernail polish to paint the brass eyes black. I found brown worked too but the tan seemed to get more hits. Have fun
Old 09-15-2012, 03:45 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Marco the seatrout is a close relative of our weakfish but they have some different habits . I've done really well on LI with grass shrimp patterns but usually in deeper conditions then seatrout. Although I've caught small weakfish under dock lites at Fire Island it seems the seatrout of the south just love to hoard shrimp under dock lites . And many times the fish can be big! A monster weakfish is 12 to 19 lbs a gator seatrout is 7 to 12lbs. And when they are on shrimp under the lites in GA it can be nonstop action on a moving tide with fish all over the place blitzing on top. Once in a while down by Cape May seatrout are caught in the same spots that weakfish generally hold. This happens in the really warm water years.if you ever get an opportunity to fish for them your in for a treat!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-15-2012, 06:10 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

TheBoz;

I love your quote from Lefty Kreh!!! So sums up most fly shop & fish camp BS sessions discussions. It's all really very simple, just fish.

Cheers,

Pete A.
theboz likes this.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:45 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

No truer words spoken Pete. JUST FISH!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-15-2012, 08:05 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

My experience with specs is that they are relatively easy to catch when you time it right. They like to wallow out a slight depression in the sand around them, sit in it and ambush the bait being pulled across them on a rising or falling tide. All you have to do is find tidal movement and cast upstream a bit of and darker hole you see and they do the rest. My patterns of choice was a white Deceiver or a lightly weighted Clouser. I generally fished then skinny water and wanted my fly suspended in the water column and the standard store bought Clousers where simply too heavy. Best of luck!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:02 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

When I was home in Florida at the beginning of the summer, most my specks hit small 4-6 clousers (the Electric Chicken chartreuse-and-pink combo was my favorite) as well as lightly weighted (beadchain) estaz-and-marabou streamers (specifically Grassett's Snook Minnow). I had the most luck with a very fast retrieve using an intermediate sink tip line. This kept the fly right in the strike zone, which usually happens to be just above the trout and just under the ladyfish. They tend to be found in the same areas, and in all honesty, while not exactly table-fare, the ladyfish put up a better fight and love to get airborne. To the uninitiated, they look (and fight) like baby tarpon. Until they poop on you while you're unhooking them. Stuff looks like wet orange glo-bug yarn... gross.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-15-2012, 09:37 PM

stimpy v2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the help you guys, very appreciative.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:38 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Noreaster, the trout he's after are not true trout like you're used to seeing. These are Spotted Seatrout or Weakfish. Not Brook trout.

I haven't caught a Seatrout in many years, but have caught them in the Chesapeake Bay when I was much younger. Primarily used baitfish patterns or brightly colored patterns such as Deceivers & Seaducers. Wasn't aware of Clousers back then, but they will certainly work too, particularly if you get into day time fishing.

I always had good luck with red & white, or pink & chartreuse patterns when targeting them. However, do recall that brown & tan patterns also had there productive times as well as all black or purple & black.

IMO, you would do well to have some variety of patterns that imitate local baitfish & shrimp plus some attractors in bright colors & a few dark patterns as well.

Here's the type of flies I would suggest for Seatrout:
Click the image to open in full size.
noreaster likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-16-2012, 05:55 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Noreaster, the trout he's after are not true trout like you're used to seeing. These are Spotted Seatrout or Weakfish. Not Brook trout.
ACE Basin Species Gallery: Spotted Seatrout

Cool thanks for the heads up.
Learn something new everyday.