The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 10:26 PM

stimpy v2 is on a distinguished road
Default Going after the Sea Trout.

First i would like the say hi to everyone and give a short introduction. Nineteen years young and will be leaving for Army basic training in November, but ive picked up the old habit of FF again haha I hope to get some fish in before i leave. Back to what i came here for.

Im gonna be fishing at Tybee Island, GA (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=tybee...&ved=0CKMBELYD At the south end up the back river about .5 miles) I'll be casting off the beach with 9' 8wt rod at high tide which is at 1030pm. There are a few docks with lights ill be casting towards. I was thinking 15lb leader any advice on the length of the leader?
Also can anyone suggest a particular pattern fly this is what i was gonna use.
Im going off instincts with these two
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Any other advice would be appreciated. Most of my experience is with freshwater bass. And if i failed to explain something well sorry i suck and explaining lol.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:19 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going after the Sea Trout.

Having fished dock lights at the mouth of the Savanna for seatrout I like your first pattern. When fishing the lights any pattern that mimicked a shrimp was hot. The only thing special I found when fishing the lights was a weighted Clouser type fly didn't work as well as a non weighted shrimp pattern . Most of my Hookups were up high in the water column and usually as the fly would move from the light into the edge of the shadows where the trout were waiting in ambush. Sometimes during a moving tide they would be in such a feeding frenzy it really didn't matter what fly you were using as ling as you got it into the fray. Some of the biggest seatrout I've ever caught came out of those dock lighted areas in Ga. And Ive caught them in Fla , SC and NC but no comparison. Lot of fun!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-14-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Having fished dock lights at the mouth of the Savanna for seatrout I like your first pattern. When fishing the lights any pattern that mimicked a shrimp was hot. The only thing special I found when fishing the lights was a weighted Clouser type fly didn't work as well as a non weighted shrimp pattern . Most of my Hookups were up high in the water column and usually as the fly would move from the light into the edge of the shadows where the trout were waiting in ambush. Sometimes during a moving tide they would be in such a feeding frenzy it really didn't matter what fly you were using as ling as you got it into the fray. Some of the biggest seatrout I've ever caught came out of those dock lighted areas in Ga. And Ive caught them in Fla , SC and NC but no comparison. Lot of fun!

Cool cool, now i have another fly that mimics a shrimp but it floats on top an creates a small splash much like a popper. How do you think that may fair?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:38 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Great in the lights! Just be aware of your tides. Long as it's moving so will the fish.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Great in the lights! Just be aware of your tides. Long as it's moving so will the fish.
Well i was gonna go in at the peak of high tide and fish while the tide is going out.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:45 PM

Peak times are generally 2 hours before high and two hours after the slack. With trout you want it moving that seems to be the key at least for me.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:00 AM

Ok ok, thanks will definitely give that a try!
Old 09-15-2012, 06:21 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Down here on the "south coast", Guld Coast we call them "specks".

I like your patterns however I tend to really lean toward flashy & noisy. My experience has the larger the fly the larger the fish.

Grew up chasing these beauties and use casting tackle 1/2 the time. For this we chunk (we don't 'cast' in Texas, we 'chunk') large topwater like a Rapala Skitter-Walk, spoons like Johnson Silver Minnow often with tails attached, and 4"-6" paddle tail lead headed jigs.

So this causes me to reach for bigger flies, like big bushy slow sinking streamers, often offshore looking streamers. A top speck lure for casting is called "Corkie" which is big slow sink soft plastic plug that can be worked very slow. Released a 6#+ trout on a cold cold Feb day out of Palacios, TX, darn finger were freezing on a 6" long very bushy Lefty's. Was working the streamer very slow just above the oysters in 3' of water.

Thus I most often use a 8-9 wt and throw large flashy streamers, big noisy poppers. With poppers lean big and make a lot of noise like a dying mullet as specks often like a big mouth full. Not a fan of heavy Cousers, IMHO they are what I call a "chuck & duck", more jig than fly. If I want a fly to sink then I use Sink Tip line.

For us the best fishing "speck" fishing is coming, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb.

Under the lights specks tend to run smaller however the action can be fast & furious. Casting is much shorter distance and you can pull out the 5-6 wt stuff. Again flashy is the key. Went to college in far south Texas (Tex A&I, go Hoggies!!) and we fished the famed Baffin Bay out of Rivera under lights. Some nights it was what we call "stupid" easy.

They are the finest looking fish right out of the water, that yellow mouth and big top teeth. Under the lights they are iridescent.

Top table fair, we love 'em fried down here.

Pete A.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:27 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Sounds cool good luck with those sea run trout. Are they brookies? Any shrimp in those waters? Wide variety of shrimps and variations might be an idea. I understand that it is the krill shrimp that they feed on when they go to sea, the same that whales feed on.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 AM

May have to tie a few things up before i leave haha. But yes shrimp and mullet seems to be the largest source a food down here. Ive got a good shrimp pattern that should yield some success.