The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 07:12 AM

livelli is on a distinguished road
Default First rod/reel

Okay guys, I'm new so please go easy on me with the criticism. I finally put together a rod and reel (line, backing, etc) and am looking for input. I'm severely constrained budget wise so high end lines are not a possibility. But yesterday I picked up the following to go with the White River HCIII I bought on Thursday.

9ft 8wt South Bend "signature" for $41, "new" with the plastic wrap on the grip
White River 8wt Bass Taper line and 20lb magibraid backing
Worldwide Sportsman 9ft 12lb tapered leader
and Orvis Super Strong 0x tippet.

The Orvis SS tippet wheel looks different from the ones I see online. It's label is white and red, opposed to the all red I see on the website. It's also 40 yards and not the 30 the other SS tippets were. The final boot in the pants is there's a label on the back of the wheel that says "Best if used by 8/1/2011." If it were milk I'd have cheese by now, and botulism. Should I be concerned?

All of this, aside from the reel, is mostly just to get me started. I'm really tired of "practicing" fly casting using a 6ft bass rod and construction twine. Once I get the funds for it I'm getting a TFO PHW rod and some nice RIO redfish line. But for now, I'm broke.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:21 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First rod/reel

Beat up the snot out of that outfit. Give it good use until you can upgrade.

As for the tippet, fish it. If it doesn't hold, you know your answer.

Dennis
Old 09-15-2012, 09:39 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Dennis, the fish can't see the labels on your gear!
jpbfly likes this.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:38 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Nylon tippet degrades hence the expiration date. I believe the enemy is light so if its been on the spool out of direct light maybe it's fine? If you can take it back to the shop. They need to clear out old material. If they won't honor it, might not be a good shop. Tippet is pretty cheap so if they won't make it right I wouldn't trust them with a significant purchase.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:07 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

If you were using a 6ft bass rod and twine you will be a champ with this outfit. You make the rod work. A good caster can use a broomstick.Enjoy your new outfit and catch some fish. Like Swirl says fish can't read labels!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-15-2012, 01:38 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

I am an old dog and most of my tackle is now considered collectable. I use old line regularly. If I was going on a $500 a day guided day trip I would not use the material. Otherwise, it is just like most of my other daily tackle.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I spent probably two hours today practicing. It is a strange phenomenon how I can watch videos and read instructions for hours, but I come down with amnesia once I start waving the rod. I wound up putting a small 1/2" loop in the end of my fly line using some 30lb braid to wrap the line against itself, then put a figure eight on a bight about the same size at one end of a 3ft length of 14lb mono as a practice leader, and finalized that by tying on a fake fly made of a foot of construction twine doubled over twice and tied in an overhand knot (looks like a 3" pink bow tie). Practicing with that and concentrating on making short strokes resulted in some favorable results, or at least I think so. I went down to Orvis earlier and asked if there was a fly club here in Myrtle Beach. The guy said he wasn't aware of one, but that he was thinking about starting a club. When I mentioned that I usually fished out of a kayak he was thrilled. He said he'd been fly fishing for years and was thinking of getting into fishing from a kayak. This dude was the photo negative of my situation. I offered to trade free kayak consulting/rigging/instruction for fly casting help. Last time things worked out this well peanut butter started being sold inside of small cups made of chocolate.

I did notice something while at Orvis though. They carried the same tippet material, but had it marked down 50% (SON OF A B%&#H!!!). But the expiration dates were way back in 2010. The stuff I got is just to get me by until I can afford something better, and am confident that I wont be whipping my lawn with it like a coach horse. Too bad I cant use this 14lb Trilene as a redfish leader. I can get 330 yards of it for $8!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 05:27 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't you? Tying your own leaders from mono will work just fine. Before I started furling my own leaders I tied all my leaders with mono.
grouch likes this.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:10 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

What swirl said. You can get by just fine with a few spools of Trilene and tying your own leaders. More fun and you learn a lot more doing so. Cheaper too as 150 yards of Trilene will set you back a grand total of $4.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:48 PM

I probably will tie my own from here on out. I was just using a short shot of 14lb to practice with but it was laying out very nicely. Better than the store bought leader and tippet. I also found a few videos from Mel Krieger that are making me think more and more what I've been doing wrong. It's still such a strange concept to go from launching crankbaits and whacky worms to ignoring the lure and focusing on what the rod is doing. But nothing good comes easy. Unfortunately, I live in a neighborhood that doesn't allow fishing in the lakes (like the one behind my house) due to the HOA regulations. They classify practice casting with a hookless bit of string "fishing," so I got my warning letter today. I was too angry to reply at the time, but when I do I'm demanding to be allowed to face my accuser and "convey my disagreement." Besides, fishing or not, it's going to take more than some old coward sending me letters to stop me from enjoying my back yard.