The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Gulf surf fishing: Your go to flies!

Late sping/early summer I will be at my home away from home in Gulf Shores and I fully intended to I have tied up a few things, what may or may not be working. So I came to the forums for wisdom. What are you go to and favorite flies for fishing the surf? If you have an receipes thatd be great, I cant always find patterns or reciepes of some flies I have heard of. So ready, go!!

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-30-2012, 10:42 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice
Default Re: Gulf surf fishing: Your go to flies!

You need some of these.....White maraboo tail, pearl estaz, eyes of either bead chain, mono, barbells. Depending on sink rate you need and the same for size. Try other colors too. Fast and easy to tie as well
Old 09-30-2012, 12:04 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I have a small school of those already in a few sizes. I think I will need to expand them alittle more though. I want to catch like pompano and what not. Thats what I mainly remember seeing from beach snorkeling last time.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-30-2012, 06:08 PM

mylobass is on a distinguished road

I use a glass minnow fly mostly, either a white or olive wing with silver d rib body. This last couple of weeks though, with hoards of tiny baitfish schooling right against the shore Ive had better luck with a commercial fly, the EP Micro Minnow with a gray back. I dont use weighted flies but a sinking furled leader. I think a little yellow is the key when targeting pompano.