The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 08:03 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Redfishing, a little help?

Most of us, in our small club, who fish the marsh have opted to go with stable canoes or kayaks. Our twisted leader stands from his kayak but not me. I got a Native Ultimate 14.5 that's very stable even when it's blowing 10-15 knots. I did not bother with a weight anchor but used a poling staff through a trolley pulley system on the side. My canoe is stable enough to double haul standing and I never needed to cast to visible fish more than 50-60' away. Most of my casts where under 40'.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

You need to research a good guide carefully. I made the mistake of taking a guides word that he guided fly fishermen only to have him discourage me from using a fly rod as we arrived. My next guiding experience was equally futile hampered by higher winds and murky water. If you want to fish SE LA I can recommend a very good guide. Best to be guided once then go at it on your own next hopefully with fellow salties to help. HTH.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:35 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

In Texas you tie on a Redfish Crack and hang on. Ft. Anahuac is hot for Reds and will be through December. All areas along upper coast are producing well. They are stuffing themselves on shimp as they migrate from the marshes. Cold front this weekend will provide very good fishing next week.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:12 AM

livelli is on a distinguished road

I dont have any craft fur, EP hair, or estas, so I had to make my own redfish crack using white bucktail (striped w. a sharpie), red maribou, and spun deer hair. I forgot to add weight, but that shouldn't be too difficult. I just did the best I could with what I had. We'll see.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Who knows, you may have just developed the next great redfish pattern! Let us know how it does, I'll be getting out after the redfish in 2 months.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-19-2012, 09:29 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Got to fish the Boliver Island, Tx. area this weekend and the Red fishing can't get any better. Fished the outgoing tide and found the Reds stacked up in the back of the marshes. They are stuffing themselves on shrimp and crabs prepping for the winter. I spend most of my time just slow paddling the kayak so to watch and listen for action and then pounce on it. Found one pod of Reds in about 6" of water with the only way out to go under my yak. Hooked one up and the others beat the heck out of the bottom of the yak digging to get under and to deeper water. That was the kind of stuff I see on youtube but had never experienced. I have not the words to describe the fun.

Not sure where you are located but the above is what is happening now on the Texas Upper Coast.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:04 PM

livelli is on a distinguished road

I'm in South Carolina, so I imagine it's just a little bit colder here than in Tx. I've been wanting to get out but between 1) my fiance's birthday this Friday, 2) Thanksgiving, and 3) work being oppressively time consuming, I just haven't been able to get out there. I might make her some benadryl pancakes Saturday morning so I can get some time on the water.