The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How do you guys feel about the moon?

I've found pretty much as everyone else here; when fishing tidal water moons mean a lot but when fishing 100 miles inland not so much at all. I tried to apply the lunar tables a few years ago. While fishing one late afternoon near the cabin I hooked up with 8 different kings during a 45 - 50 minute slot 5:45 - 6:30 PM or so. I consulted the lunar guide to fish and game activity that night and they said that the next afternoon at 3:30 PM was gonna be the time. I made special effort to be on station by 2:45 and fished through the time slot. Nothing, nada, saw a few swimming around but not a touch on the fly. This fishing was done about 110 miles from the tide water. Interestingly enough as I recall the lunar tables did not say that I should have had 8 hook ups at 6:00 the day before so............

I agree with Dan in that I did a lot of mooning 40 years ago but none that I recall in the past 20
Guest1 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-01-2012, 05:34 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
... I agree with Dan in that I did a lot of mooning 40 years ago but none that I recall in the past 20
I'm glad you Dan have stopped. We already have a "placing a face to the name thread". I shutter to think of the thread that would pop up if you guys were still up to your old tricks...
Guest1 likes this.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I agree with Dan in that I did a lot of mooning 40 years ago but none that I recall in the past 20
Nobody said I stopped, just not as often, and not when I'm driving.......anymore.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:53 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

How the heck do you expect me to sleep now ! 4 more days your killing me Marco!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-01-2012, 06:19 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Like Rip, I pay more attention to the tidal current flow and the times it changes than the moon for inshore fishing. When night fishing, I have never done well with a bright moon out.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:38 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Like Rip, I pay more attention to the tidal current flow and the times it changes than the moon for inshore fishing. When night fishing, I have never done well with a bright moon out.
I think that's what kills it for me as well. Just looked outside and saw a few clouds. I'm leaving work at 8 and heading straight to the beach
Old 10-01-2012, 06:41 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Smile Re: How do you guys feel about the moon?

Different fish different scenarios. First let me give my take on the moon phases in general and from that perspective there's a lot going on as now we are talking tides and much more. I think that most all salt water fish and some fresh fall into the many creatures attuned to the moon's phases. From the Tarpon and how the Palalo worms tune their emergence to both the tide and the moon to Redfish following the shrimp run which follows both he tide and the moon we see many examples of how this works.

Another example is more fish specific. Walleye and Saugar, and Crappie to a much lesser extent adn then on the salt side the Snook are famous for their luminous eyes, an adaptation that allows them superb night vision. They work and feed in total darkness but when that moon's out it can trigger a feeding . While other fish such as Flatheads use the dark moon phases to target nearly stationary Bluegills and other smaller fish that remain suspended during these periods.

In short figure out how the moon affects the area and time you are fishing and more importantly the fish you are targeting and you'll score big.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 10-03-2012, 12:33 AM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Here you go buddy, fresh from Montauk. This was taken yesterday and sent to me as a form of torture...
Click the image to open in full size.
That picture is killing me. I can not go right now or for that matter probably at all this year. Wife is ready to give birth any day to my third daughter, and sure she would kill me if I took that trip right now.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:58 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorabove View Post
That picture is killing me. I can not go right now or for that matter probably at all this year. Wife is ready to give birth any day to my third daughter, and sure she would kill me if I took that trip right now.
I feel your pain. I'm going Friday night and I'm chomping at the bit thanks to Swirl posting this. Quick story to relate to your situation. 24 years ago my wife was in her 9th month with my 3rd daughter . I was in a local bluefish contest that ran on a Friday and Saturday. Got approval to go from the wife as long as I carried a beeper with me( not to many cells back then). Met my friend Friday night for an all nighter at the boat ramp and proceeded to fall on the ramp in the water and destroy the beeper . Of course I went out anyway .
Well on our first run out to the sound the motor broke down and we were stuck and had to wait for someone to come by for a tow . And then it started raining (all night) . Come morning we hadn't caught a fish and finally got an extremely slow tow from a bay constable . On the way in i was pretty worried but still made some casts and managed a 5 lb blue which I threw back in disgust.
Luckily got home and nothing had happened yet . That night she went in to labor and while taking her to the hospital was listening to the radio and they announced the winner of the bluefish contest . A 3 lb 4oz fish! So I threw a $2000 dollar winning fish back , had to pay the beeper company a $100 + but at least I was there when my beautiful little girl was born!
Rip Tide likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I don't pay very much attention to it all. If I started worrying about things like the best time to fish in relationship to the lunar tables, then I would be missing the entire point of fishing.

The only thing I ever take note of in terms of the moon is, "Yay. The moon is really bright so I can see a lot better tonight"