The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 01:01 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do you guys feel about the moon?

Full moon tonight gentlemen, it should be all out chaos or a very quiet night. I've never had tremendous luck on a full moon so I don't have great expectations. How do you guess do fishing the moon?
Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you guys feel about the moon?

I used to moon people much more often when I was younger but ....... Ohhhhh, the Moon.

The only thing it seems to do here is when the Emerald Shiners run the river in the Fall. Last Fall we discovered Walleye hitting them well out into the river on the surface. When there was a moon but cloud cover as well, they stayed on the surface. As soon as there was a hole in the clouds where the moon could light things, it drives MOST (not all) of the shiners down. Along with them go MOST (not all) of the Walleye. The moon drives Emerald Shiners down from the surface but not to the bottom. It makes getting the Walleye harder, so I am not a fan of the Moon being out.

I have heard a lot of talk about Moon phases as well. I don't buy it. I have seen just as much evidence it is complete nonsense as to it working. Besides, those tables and my time off do not coincide that well.
Hardyreels and jpbfly like this.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:37 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I think that it makes a big difference in places where there's a lot of moving water like a channel between an island and the mainland or a rip at the mouth of a bay or saltpond.
Stronger tides, faster water, more chaos
The larger difference in tides on a beach or at a point helps to concentrate bait on the ebb and will let the gamefish explore territory that they couldn't normally reach on the flood.
I'm not sure that makes as much of a difference as the fast water but it all depends on the specific location
Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

In my experience, the morning after a full moon night, fishing can be pretty slow, especially in situations like fishing Lake Michigan or whatnot.

There is enough light that the predators "Salmon for example" feed through the night much more efficiently, thus killing the morning bite...

Other than that, obviously the tide is effected by the moon so in that sense I pay attention to it, but not in any other ways...
Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Technically today the moon phase will be 97% full and on the waning side.

Yesterday from 5:30 PM until we were out of the water (around 7:30 PM), my buddy and I fished the most intense caddis hatch that I have experienced in a long time. Caddis were popping like crazy, and fish filled their bellies. We lost track of how many grabs that we had. When the moon was completely out, and we were out of the water, the popping of fish surfacing was happening very frequently.

As for how the moon phases effect fishing in general, everything has been inconsistent.

Dennis
Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I think that it makes a big difference in places where there's a lot of moving water like a channel between an island and the mainland or a rip at the mouth of a bay or saltpond.
Stronger tides, faster water, more chaos
The larger difference in tides on a beach or at a point helps to concentrate bait on the ebb and will let the gamefish explore territory that they couldn't normally reach on the flood.
I'm not sure that makes as much of a difference as the fast water but it all depends on the specific location
It's pretty safe to say that it produces all out chaos in the surf but I always seem to be in the wrong place. Maybe I should use my normal process for picking a fishing spot and then do the exact opposite.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

As far as the surf always did well the three days prior to the full moon. The only thing that ever was bad was when phosphorecence was in the water during the full and the period leading up to it. That green **** would light every fly up like a Christmas tree. And as far as my best fishing the new moon has it hands down!
As for freshwater fishing nights on the full in the lakes was slow at best , in the rivers no change.
Montauk this weekend I'll let you know how the moon fared. I'm pumped!
Rip Tide likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
As far as the surf always did well the three days prior to the full moon. The only thing that ever was bad was when phosphorecence was in the water during the full and the period leading up to it. That green **** would light every fly up like a Christmas tree. And as far as my best fishing the new moon has it hands down!
As for freshwater fishing nights on the full in the lakes was slow at best , in the rivers no change.
I don't think the moon's going to matter to you. From the reports im getting you just can't miss out there right now. The fish are everywhere! Have a good time.
theboz likes this.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:09 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

The runs of sea trout correlate with moon phases here in the Maritimes. Especially on PEI where I am. That is at least when water levels are normal. In drought times it may go more on rainfall near or around full moon phases.

The tides and estuaries are higher during full moon phases and facilitate a safer arrival into upper fresh water.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Here you go buddy, fresh from Montauk. This was taken yesterday and sent to me as a form of torture...
Click the image to open in full size.
theboz likes this.