The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another newb looking for your guidance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I have a favorite homemade stripping basket that you can see here,
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...tml#post307082
but when I travel, I just bring a bungee cord (2') and buy a plastic mesh basket or dish pan at a dollar store.
Works fairly well, it's cheap, and you don't have to transport it.

Click the image to open in full size.
Wow! You have the exact same basket (almost) pictured as my favorite single hand rod stripping basket! You can see mine hanging on my side right here:

I got a clip called a 'Crocodile Clip' that I can pinch onto my wading belt, or belt, vest bottom etc. I then used a piece of 1" nylon web strap and used it to attach the basket to the clip. I used weed whacker line to make loops in the bottom of the basket. I might have a whole $4.oo invested in it. I used to use an aluminum finger splint to hold the basket on. I got the basket at the dollar store so I had tops $1.50 in it that way. Oh, and a good story about the finger and the doctor. This picture shows the finger splint method:

You can also see in it you look in the bottom, the weed whacker line loops. I just drill holes big enough for the line the go through, then melt the ends and flatten them.

The finger story. I ran my middle finger through between the starter gear and fly wheel of my boat motor and squished it like a bug. I go to the doctor and he cleans the grease and stuff out and then tells me "I think you have an extensor tendon injury. You know, the one that straightens it out." I said "Give it to me straight doc, will I ever be able to flip the bird again?" He didn't get it. A pefectly good joke out the window.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:32 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Dang Dan ! Another monster smallie! Can't you just show the basket or your digit your making me drool! Haha!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-19-2012, 06:28 PM

riderfisher is on a distinguished road

Great smallie, but that musky pic is the one getting me worked up! A week ago today (took a Friday off to do this) a buddy and I had a guide to go after muskies- and we got totally skunked! Ten hours in the boat throwing 8" long streamers on 9 & 10wts working this river that the guide said was crawling with them the week before. Ah well, such are the fortunes of those who fish in fall in Ohio, I guess.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:29 AM

mylobass is on a distinguished road

Yes redtide is a algae type bloom. It is very bad here right now and entering Collier County as of last night. Loads of dead fish on the beaches, it also causes illness in people. Asthma suffers are warned to stay awy from shores. Everyone feels the scratchy sore throat, burning eyes, hacking cough etc. Its heading south towards Marco and usually lasts about a 2 weeks in an area before it clears. Fishing takes longer to recover. Back country is not as affected. I wish you luck. For what its worth I fish the beach almost everyday all summer and I never use a stripping basket. I dont use it wading either and have never regretted it as wearing the thing takes all the joy out of fishing for me.

Check nbc-2.com, the local news station. They have regular stories and updates on its current status.

Last edited by mylobass; 10-20-2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-20-2012, 12:44 PM

riderfisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylobass View Post
Yes redtide is a algae type bloom. It is very bad here right now and entering Collier County as of last night. Loads of dead fish on the beaches, it also causes illness in people. Asthma suffers are warned to stay awy from shores. Everyone feels the scratchy sore throat, burning eyes, hacking cough etc. Its heading south towards Marco and usually lasts about a 2 weeks in an area before it clears. Fishing takes longer to recover. Back country is not as affected. I wish you luck. For what its worth I fish the beach almost everyday all summer and I never use a stripping basket. I dont use it wading either and have never regretted it as wearing the thing takes all the joy out of fishing for me.

Check nbc-2.com, the local news station. They have regular stories and updates on its current status.
Thanks for explaining this mylobass. Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed; our little group arrives on Marco next Sat 10/27 to stay the following week, so I hope it doesn't get there while we are there! I will probably try the surf fishing without the basket first, as I've never used one in rivers up to now; but I have had times where long cast attempts have been spoiled by piled up line catching on something floating around me or getting tangled- very frustrating. May then have to try it with a basket to see which way suits me better.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Der alte Jäger about five or six clicks down you'll find a series of pics of my stripping basket with the mono weed whip loops. Good luck on your trip.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/