The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 10:07 PM

riderfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Another newb looking for your guidance!

Hi All,
Second post on the forum, just beginning to get the lay of the land. Long story short, GL area trout fisherman coming to Marco for vacation in a couple weeks wants to fish the surf, throw a line off the back of a pontoon boat, and get a guide for a day for some flats or backwater fishing. I've already started a thread in the SE States subforum for guide recommendations, but thought I'd start one here also for general advice on fishing the surf and off of the pontoon boat. I've got a shiny new Sage 8wt Approach and Hydros LA reel with a Teeny 'Flip Pallot' floating line that I'm just dying to put to work. I have scuba & snorkeled in the Keys and Caymans in my time, so I'm not a complete idiot about the salt, but have never fly fished in it. I've got a copy of Lefty Kreh's Fly Fishing in Saltwater I've been devouring, but I'd really appreciate some additional suggestions of material to read up or your general advice on how to approach these activities. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another newb looking for your guidance!

Best advise I can give you is:

Practice casting, then practice casting, then practice some more. Trout fishing requires good presentation but your casts are relatively short. If you can't get 70' consistently you will get frustrated. Unless your targeting Bonefish distance will be more important than presentation.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Best advise I can give you is:

Practice casting, then practice casting, then practice some more. Trout fishing requires good presentation but your casts are relatively short. If you can't get 70' consistently you will get frustrated. Unless your targeting Bonefish distance will be more important than presentation.
Yes, thanks- I've heard that! I have been doing just that, been putting the new outfit through it's paces. I was amazed when I test casted the Sage against some other 8wt's at how it really threw the line; I've got a 100' tape I'm going to use to lay out some targets so I get a better visual feel for the distance of my casts. Advice appreciated!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:24 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Before my first trip, I went to a park on a couple of windy days, and setup various targets at different distances in different directions. Practice hitting one target at 60', then one in a different direction at 40', and so on. Practice hitting targets using a backcast as well, as that can help in certain conditions or if a fish shows up behind you.

I've only surf fished a little bit, but it wasn't productive. I didn't have a stripping basket, so my line was constantly swirling around my feet... I didn't enjoy it very much

Also, get some good polarized glasses with amber lenses. I had no problem spotting fish my first few minutes, my first time out.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:54 PM

mylobass is on a distinguished road

The redtide has hit us hard down here this month, good luck. Distance has never been more important to me fly fishing here. Especially on the surf. The Snook and Flounder are almost where the water hits the sand in the first trough. Floating line is ok but have a sinking leader to get a more natural presentation. For back country too, I strive to be precise hitting under mangroves and in nucks and crannys in the brush.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonism View Post
Before my first trip, I went to a park on a couple of windy days, and setup various targets at different distances in different directions. Practice hitting one target at 60', then one in a different direction at 40', and so on. Practice hitting targets using a backcast as well, as that can help in certain conditions or if a fish shows up behind you.

I've only surf fished a little bit, but it wasn't productive. I didn't have a stripping basket, so my line was constantly swirling around my feet... I didn't enjoy it very much

Also, get some good polarized glasses with amber lenses. I had no problem spotting fish my first few minutes, my first time out.
Great ideas, thanks. I did a similar thing night before last, but only laid the targets out in a line (to get an idea of the distances) at 40', 60', 80' and 100'. Found I could hit 60 pretty consistently, and 70 about a third of the time. Obviously I have work to do but now have an idea where I'm starting from, and it's not too bad.
Found some youtube vids about making your own stripping basket and read up on some forum discussions. Sounds like a pretty useful piece of equipment to have for surf fishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylobass View Post
The redtide has hit us hard down here this month, good luck. Distance has never been more important to me fly fishing here. Especially on the surf. The Snook and Flounder are almost where the water hits the sand in the first trough. Floating line is ok but have a sinking leader to get a more natural presentation. For back country too, I strive to be precise hitting under mangroves and in nucks and crannys in the brush.
Thanks, but what is the 'redtide'? An algae bloom of some sort? Where has this been an issue, exactly?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:15 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Riderfisher.

I am going to suggest a different approach from the advice you have been receiving (all good by the way). By learning all you can and practicing for proficiency, your performance will be at its optimum and you will not leave the water wishing you had done more to get ready. I do raise caution however to the gauging of your trip on the numbers of fish caught, instead include hook sets as a part of the entire experience. Take it all in and watch for the moments within the trip that have nothing to do with fishing but everything to do with lasting memories.

Dave
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:29 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonism View Post
Practice hitting targets using a backcast as well, as that can help in certain conditions or if a fish shows up behind you.
Yes like being in a boat with more than just you, and having the wrong wind direction. It might help you all stay friends. Unless you can cast well with both hands.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:43 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderfisher View Post
Found some youtube vids about making your own stripping basket and read up on some forum discussions. Sounds like a pretty useful piece of equipment to have for surf fishing!
I have a favorite homemade stripping basket that you can see here,
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...tml#post307082
but when I travel, I just bring a bungee cord (2') and buy a plastic mesh basket or dish pan at a dollar store.
Works fairly well, it's cheap, and you don't have to transport it.

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney and Guest1 like this.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions guys, really appreciate them! Great advice from everyone, all very useful. I connected with a guide (in Goodland) finally last night and have a day set aside to do some backcountry fishing- but not until the middle of the week- so I'll be trying my hand in the surf Mon/Tues on my own first. The link to the surf fishing thread is awesome, just the info I needed.